Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
hey - new to mac so be patient with me please!
ive read about people removing programmes and languages that originally come with osx panther when they first use their computers. is there any way i can remove these without having to reinstall everything? it took me days to download all my cds and other programmes so i really dont want to have to do it again.
thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
For removing languages, several utilities exist, including DeLocalizer. I don't recommend using that one though, since it's inflexible and hasn't been tested on Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther".

Mac OS X doesn't really have or need uninstallers in the vast majority of cases. Usually, all you need to do to remove a program is trash the application file itself, any preference files in the Preferences folder, any support files in Application Support, and anything else in your Library the program may have left behind.

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
Macaroni will also do this, as well as ensure the cron scripts (daily, weekly and monthly maintenence routines your Mac runs in the early hours of the morning) are run should your Mac not be on overnight.

It's not free but does have a demo / trial period so you can see if you like using it.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
thank u all! i tried the first recomendation and it worked fine, but i didn't regain much space - around 700mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.