Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleAsker

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

I bought an iMac G3 Indigo 500 MHz from Summer 2001. It was pretty dirty, had sticker residue and paint everywhere on it, and the mouse was encrusted with dirt. I mean, that thing was dirty. So, I decided to clean the whole darn thing up with some Goo Gone, Mr. Clean spray and Magic Erasers. I managed to get out every bit of gunk and paint out of the iMac, making it absolutely squeaky clean, but then I noticed some pretty nasty micro circular scratches on the blue plastic where I used the magic eraser. It isn't very noticeable, but when looking at it directly it shows and it really bums me out.

Does anyone know a solution for removing those micro scratches? I read that plastic polishers do this job quite well, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm using the right stuff. If there's a specific product I should use that could get rid of them them while also removing some deeper scratches on other parts of the plastic, I would be really thankful. I'll do anything to save my baby :p

-- AppleAsker :apple:

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I've heard good things about Novus Plastic Polish, but any softer plastic polish should work.

That said, I recommend you to not use magic erasers on any smooth surfaces like the iMac G3's case, since it's abrasive which is why it leaves scratches. And it can affect textured surfaces too.

Reactions: AppleAsker

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I've heard good things about Novus Plastic Polish, but any softer plastic polish should work.

That said, I recommend you to not use magic erasers on any smooth surfaces like the iMac G3's case, since it's abrasive which is why it leaves scratches. And it can affect textured surfaces too.
No experience with the Novus product, but I agree with the second comment. I've used Magic Erasers (probably called Magic Rubbers in the UK):eek:, but generally not on smooth, shiny surfaces. They are very effective for cleaning the underside of G3 Clamshells, and the rubber underside of white unibody Macbooks. Ensure the MEraser is just slightly damp, to ensure no droplets penetrate inside.

Reactions: AppleAsker

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I can vouch for the "Novus" product as shown here.
Used it to clean up the very badly scratched up handles on my G4MDD.

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0203.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.