Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
I am planning on giving my old Unibody Macbook to my sister. However, it has several scratches on the body. She already has a laptop, but is really excited about the unibody exterior. Thus, I would hate to give her a cruddy looking computer. Is there any(fairly cheap) way to get scratches out of the aluminum body?

Last edited:

MadMichael

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Brushed aluminum is almost impossible to remove scratches from. I know as I have spent the last 30 plus years working with aluminum in the aircraft industry. The best you can do is clean it and hope for the best.

I have found that a good case will hide most of the minor scratches and you can get a good case from Speck at Amazon.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes, you are not going to remove them, and are better off covering them up.. This will server the purpose of protecting your Mac from future damage.

I have a Speck clear shell on all my Macs, and it works fine. I have never considered removing them.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

MadMichael said:
Brushed aluminum is almost impossible to remove scratches from. I know as I have spent the last 30 plus years working with aluminum in the aircraft industry. The best you can do is clean it and hope for the best.

I have found that a good case will hide most of the minor scratches and you can get a good case from Speck at Amazon.

Hmm if you had 30 years experiance then You would know that the unibody series of MacBooks are not brushed aluminium! It's acid etched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.