Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I realize that for most of the time, all you have to do is drag the item from the applications folder to the trash to delete software. But I just installed Virtual PC and Windows XP on my machine yesterday only to realize that remote desktop is really a better way to do what I wanted to do. Now how do I remove Windows files from my machine? I tried deleting VPC, but it was only 43 MB, so I'm thinking the actual Windows files are residing somewhere else. And I'd like to get rid of them.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Shine the light on it with Spotlight

I don't have a straight answer, but you could use Spotlight to search for standard Windows XP directories (like system32, system, drivers, 'Program Files' etc.) and see which directory these are stored under - zap the parent directory once you verify that it looks ok to delete. :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
millerrh said:
I realize that for most of the time, all you have to do is drag the item from the applications folder to the trash to delete software. But I just installed Virtual PC and Windows XP on my machine yesterday only to realize that remote desktop is really a better way to do what I wanted to do. Now how do I remove Windows files from my machine? I tried deleting VPC, but it was only 43 MB, so I'm thinking the actual Windows files are residing somewhere else. And I'd like to get rid of them.
There is a folder in your ~/Documents/ folder entitled Virtual PC List. Inside are the disk image files that emulate your VPC's hard drives. Throw away this folder and Windows is gone. Unless you need the space, however, I recommend that you not do this.

XNine

macrumors 68040
MisterMe said:
There is a folder in your ~/Documents/ folder entitled Virtual PC List. Inside are the disk image files that emulate your VPC's hard drives. Throw away this folder and Windows is gone. Unless you need the space, however, I recommend that you not do this.

Beat me to it. This is correct. Deleting these files will do it. And ARD is awesome.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
As for normal programs, all I have to do it drag the application to the trash? Won't this still leave some unnecessary files on my computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.