Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I took my laptop to the genius desk last year, and I still haven't bothered fixing this little issue because I never had the "Other.." option when I turn on my MBP?

I called the store fixing this issue since they caused it during my visit there. I really don't want to drive to to apple fixing this. I'm sure its a simple issue, but its annoying having it on there. Of course, I don't have a screenshot before logging on.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So what is this Other thing? A user? If it's a user, just remove that user from System Preferences > Users

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Accounts >> Login Options >>> Display login window as: ? Is "List of users" or "Name and password" selected?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That's probably there because the root account has been enabled. You can use Directory Utility to disable it (if you're in Snow Leopard, it's in /System/Library/CoreServices, in Leopard it's in /Applications/Utilities). Make sure the lock in the lower left is unlocked (if not, click it and enter your password), then go to Edit -> Disable Root User.

jW

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
That's probably there because the root account has been enabled. You can use Directory Utility to disable it (if you're in Snow Leopard, it's in /System/Library/CoreServices, in Leopard it's in /Applications/Utilities). Make sure the lock in the lower left is unlocked (if not, click it and enter your password), then go to Edit -> Disable Root User.

jW

Thank you, I appreciate the post. I am on Snow Leopard, but I can't find the CoreServices in Finder, unless I'm looking in the wrong area-

This is what I'm seeing when I turn on my MBP:
dae9e911.jpg

acf00697.jpg

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Go to System Preferences/Accounts and delete the "Other" account.

I actually, dont have a "Other" account on the left pane, but It seems like a different thing. I only have 1 single Admin on my laptop, since I"m the only person that uses this.

All I see is, "Other Accounts" but theres only 'Guest Account'. I turned it off, and on and other things to try it to see if it changes anything, but its all the same.

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Accounts >> Login Options >>> Display login window as: ? Is "List of users" or "Name and password" selected?

Thanks, I took a few screenshots to make this easier-

Screenshot2011-01-29at122356PM.png

Screenshot2011-01-29at122307PM.png

Screenshot2011-01-29at122254PM.png

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
That "Other" is the root account (same as my MP screen). If you simply go the the Mac help on your computer and search for 'disable root account' you should see what you have to do.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
That "Other" is the root account (same as my MP screen). If you simply go the the Mac help on your computer and search for 'disable root account' you should see what you have to do.

I can't seem to find it in the help. =/

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices (go to Macintosh HD and click through from there)

2. Run Directory Utility.app

3. Authenticate (click the lock)

4. Click Edit in the Menu Bar

5. Click "Disable Root User"

If you don't see "Disable Root User" but instead "Enable Root User" report back.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices (go to Macintosh HD and click through from there)

If you don't see "Disable Root User" but instead "Enable Root User" report back.

IT WORKED PERFECT!!!! THANK YOU! This was bothering me since nearly a year now. :D

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
For the future: To get to "Help" simply click on Finder and at the right side of the menu bar at the top of the screen it says "Help". You click that and then click Mac Help. It's amazing how much is in there and how much faster it can be than going back and forth here. :)

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
For the future: To get to "Help" simply click on Finder and at the right side of the menu bar at the top of the screen it says "Help". You click that and then click Mac Help. It's amazing how much is in there and how much faster it can be than going back and forth here. :)

Sweet! Thank you, good sir! :)

Where? What? I think they changed it on 10.6.7 because I can't find that here:

screenshot20110611at518.png

I tried disabling Active Directory and LDAPv3. The "other" login is still there :-\

Any other ideas?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Go at the top under "edit" and at the bottom, it should disable it. I'm on 10.6.7, and you're just missing it in directory utility.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
This is what mine looks like-

Double check with the steps someone else posted above, and perhaps you forgot something, but we're on the same version, and it is definitely possible. Afterwards, restart your machine, and it should be gone.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-11 at 9.55.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-11 at 9.55.26 AM.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 17,451

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Just saw this thread. If you have a network account server (such as LDAP) you always get the "Other..." selection which lets you log into network accounts that haven't been established on your system.

This is what mine looks like-

Double check with the steps someone else posted above, and perhaps you forgot something, but we're on the same version, and it is definitely possible. Afterwards, restart your machine, and it should be gone.

Yours doesn't have an Edit button either. There's the pencil to edit Active Directory or LADPv3, but nothing about disabling root (that's what I'm looking for).

Just saw this thread. If you have a network account server (such as LDAP) you always get the "Other..." selection which lets you log into network accounts that haven't been established on your system.
Not useful at all. Nobody is asking about LDAP servers.

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
Um, 'Edit' doesn't appear in the window that opens. 'Edit' is in the menu bar at the very top of the screen. With Directory Utility open 'Disable Root User' will become available in the 'edit' menu if it is indeed enabled.

See image below. Mine says 'Enable' instead of 'Disable' because my root account isn't enabled ;)

Last edited:
Man! That doesn't look like an Apple approach GUI (putting it up there in the OS's menu bar).

Thanks for everything. If it weren't for the screen I would have thought that it was in the window's menu bar (where "Services" and "Search policy" are) instead of in the OS's menu bar and that there was something wrong with my GUI.

Thanks again!

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
Man! That doesn't look like an Apple approach GUI (putting it up there in the OS's menu bar).

Thanks for everything. If it weren't for the screen I would have thought that it was in the window's menu bar (where "Services" and "Search policy" are) instead of in the OS's menu bar and that there was something wrong with my GUI.

Thanks again!

No worries. Pleased to help! ;)

malikkannan09

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Chandigarh, India

Cheerz!! ... this root user was killing me.. thanx a ton! :D

Hanlee

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I got the same issue,but it is special for me that although both I never join the network sever and disable my root Account,I still have the "Other...":(:(:(:(

Hanlee

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Removing the "Other..." user on the Login screen on Mountain Lion.

1.I did not connect the network serve or let anyone to remote control my computer.
2.I disabled the "Root User".
But the "Other..." User still here,what can I work for it?
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.