Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horizon Man

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
I had that too. I'm an American living in Finland, and couldn't get around it using Finnish English in the set up.
If you can bear US English then resetting your language to that will fix it.

ninjatiger26

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Its funny I say bin here every day in the UK - but I always call it a trash can on here. I never noticed I do that until just now - now seeing bin feels odd.....thanks for pointing that out... lol

Mark Ormesher

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
I don't agree /bin has for many, many years been and still is an important folder - why the hell are they messing around with Trash and calling it the same as /bin.

Send to bin is confusing at best and potentially dangerous if you're woking in terminal.

Reactions: adrianlondon

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
It's been Trash for years, nobody has complained as fas as I know, and yet they have decided to change it and I'm being flooded with complaints from users saying that it doesn't look right, some thought they had a virus that was renaming things, and others just generally hate it and say that "trash" was part of the OS X heritage and shouldn't have been renamed.

Personally I prefer trash, I'm old school and understand folder structure, the .Trashes and say to people, put it in the trash - put it in the bin just doesn't sound right.

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
As a Brit, I agree with you.

"put it in the bin" means to physically put something in an actual bin.
"put it in the trash" means to delete a file.

I'm so used to the American word being used in the tech world that suddenly changing it to "proper" English is jarring.

But then "hard disk" vs "compact disc" also annoy me, as does "data is". I'm easily irritated by language :)

Reactions: xnsys

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I actually think that's worth sending feedback about. How readily that would occur to the team without hearing it from customers?

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
I agree - send on some feedback - lets see what they have to say for themselves. I've done it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
In addition to changing the system language to US English, you can also set US English as the preferred localisation just for Finder and Dock in macOS Catalina (both can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices). This will restore the nomenclature while keeping all other localisation settings.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
If you only care about having the Bin renamed to Trash while on your chosen language - British English, let's say - then there's a new option in Catalina to choose your specific app and Dock and such to have their own language setting. You choose the language you want independent of your macOS language. It's there in Language and Region in the Apps tab. It's quite bothersome to go through all gb-en apps and change Bin to Trash so for me I also just use United States English.

Find the Dock App on your macOS disk and drag that in - relaunch the Dock.

Now Mail too. And most everything else.

I don't know why macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave insists of giving me gb-en when I choose EN-US as my main language on any clean installation of macOS Catalina. I'm don't like using or seeing Danish(despite being danish) in macOS because of the lack and problematic translations of 3rd party applications and even macOS Catalina itself. So I opt in to manually override the GB-EB to be EN-US with DA-DK as a backup language for other stuff, like spell checking in danish.

As someone once said: "Life is too short for localized operating systems"

I agree.

Reactions: wtn and gilby101

Dotty...

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
It's been Trash for years, nobody has complained as fas as I know, and yet they have decided to change it and I'm being flooded with complaints from users saying that it doesn't look right, some thought they had a virus that was renaming things, and others just generally hate it and say that "trash" was part of the OS X heritage and shouldn't have been renamed.

Personally I prefer trash, I'm old school and understand folder structure, the .Trashes and say to people, put it in the trash - put it in the bin just doesn't sound right.

I for one think it is good to have Apple returning this option again to the UK, there was a lot of discussion after Apple changed it in OSX to Trash from Bin in OS9/8/7 which it had been for years and a lot of Mac users in the UK didn't like Apple changing the word then, so really it depends on how old school you are?

As far as I am concerned it is long over due, changing it back to Bin, it has only taken Apple 20 years to realise their mistake! ?

Reactions: Huw Price

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Find the Dock App on your macOS disk and drag that in - relaunch the Dock.
Exactly where is the dock app within MacOS? I can not find it so I can change it's language as you have suggested above. So would you please share the dock app's location with us.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Exactly where is the dock app within MacOS? I can not find it so I can change it's language as you have suggested above. So would you please share the dock app's location with us.
Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app

There ya go ?

Choose the Go To Folder option Finder and past that in - or leave the
Code:
Dock.app
part out and go to the folder where the Dock and Finder apps are located.
You'll need to drag the Dock app in to the file requester window - if my memory serves me well, the OS won't allow to go there via Language preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: the8thark

Zolero

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2022
Eastern Europe
I don't agree /bin has for many, many years been and still is an important folder - why the hell are they messing around with Trash and calling it the same as /bin.

Send to bin is confusing at best and potentially dangerous if you're woking in terminal.
I generally agree with Mark's opinion, in terms that it might creating confusion for the novices. But there is something he misses about the terminal confusion...

AFAIK Unix-like OS-es (Mac, Linux) in opposition with the Windows counterpart are case sensitive. This means that /bin names the binary executables folder installed on the system (in the system root's folder tree), while ~/user/Bin is the path and name for the [Recycle] Bin, or Trash (as you like it).

They couldn't be mangled one for another, as we could see above. ???

Zolero

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2022
Eastern Europe
Hi allan.nyholm

I need much precise and clearer informations on what exactly to do ??? (and maybe how to do) here:

You'll need to drag the Dock app in to the file requester window - if my memory serves me well, the OS won't allow to go there via Language preferences.

More specifically I've managed to open the path to the CoreServices folder, where the Dock and the Finder apps are residing, but I wanna know what exactly the "file requester window" means, as I have to drag the Dock app into it. Also I want to know what the Finder app is about there in this topic? What to do (also) with the Finder app?

Cheers, Zolero.

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hi allan.nyholm

I need much precise and clearer informations on what exactly to do ??? (and maybe how to do) here:

More specifically I've managed to open the path to the CoreServices folder, where the Dock and the Finder apps are residing, but I wanna know what exactly the "file requester window" means, as I have to drag the Dock app into it. Also I want to know what the Finder app is about there in this topic? What to do (also) with the Finder app?

Cheers, Zolero.
I've attached a small screen recording of the steps of dragging Dock and Finder into Language & Region

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.