Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Computers!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Hello!,

So I renamed my a third FAT partition, on my internal SSD drive from "Untitled" to something more professional (because I have clients that work over my shoulder). The partition was intended to be used for bootcamp. I ended up temporarily having to put some files on it. After renaming it and rebooting the computer the partition will no longer mount and can not be repaired.

I am guessing if I can somehow rename the partition back to "Untitled" it than I will become mountable. Does anyone know how I can do this via terminal. Unfortunately I don't remember what I called it. It was meant to be temporary. In Disk Utility it shows up a "disk0s4".

System: MacBook Pro Late 2013 running OS 10.10.1.

Does anyone have any ideas?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Renaming a fat partition would not, by itself, prevent mounting - and changing name again to "untitled" again is unlikely to help. It just won't mount, and the name is not what affects that.
I suspect that the partition is simply corrupted. The generic name "disk0s4", which is the internal name that your Mac gives it, also indicates that the partition is just not normal.
Delete that partition. If you used your Boot Camp Assistant to create that partition, you can try to use Boot Camp again to remove it.
Otherwise, I suspect that you will need to manually remove the partition.
While you are still running Yosemite, you can delete partitions easily in your Disk Utility.
Be sure to try removing it first in the Boot Camp Assistant - unless that is NOT what you used to create the FAT partition.

Any reason that you haven't updated your Yosemite system to current 10.10.5?

Computers!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Renaming a fat partition would not, by itself, prevent mounting - and changing name again to "untitled" again is unlikely to help. It just won't mount, and the name is not what affects that.
I suspect that the partition is simply corrupted. The generic name "disk0s4", which is the internal name that your Mac gives it, also indicates that the partition is just not normal.
Delete that partition. If you used your Boot Camp Assistant to create that partition, you can try to use Boot Camp again to remove it.
Otherwise, I suspect that you will need to manually remove the partition.
While you are still running Yosemite, you can delete partitions easily in your Disk Utility.
Be sure to try removing it first in the Boot Camp Assistant - unless that is NOT what you used to create the FAT partition.

Any reason that you haven't updated your Yosemite system to current 10.10.5?
Thank you for the reply. I have not updated because I am in the middle of a project, and the version of my software I use does not support 10.10.5.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I understand your hesitation to "mess with" your system in the middle of a project. :D

Which app do you use that is supported by 10.10.1, but not 10.10.5?
(Sounds like something ProTools would do :rolleyes: )

I hope you won't need to reformat the entire drive to fix the FAT partition…
You will probably want to wait to fix that partition, also, until you are done with your project.

Computers!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
I understand your hesitation to "mess with" your system in the middle of a project. :D

Which app do you use that is supported by 10.10.1, but not 10.10.5?
(Sounds like something ProTools would do :rolleyes: )

I hope you won't need to reformat the entire drive to fix the FAT partition…
You will probably want to wait to fix that partition, also, until you are done with your project.
You got I edit in Avid Media Composer. The current version does support 10.10.5, but I am afraid to update that too until the project is over.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have only been around Avid or protools rarely, but I do know that pro tools doesn't like non-supported systems.
But, your MacBook Pro is not supported hardware, is it?

I agree, you don't want to "try out" any upgrades that you (and Avid) are not ready for, particularly if your setup is working.

Reactions: Computers!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.