Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Am still new to macOS. However, I have noticed, if I have a file that is not selected, and I right click on it, and choose rename, the item is sort of greyed out. I have to click on it, then start to type the rename.

If I select the file, and it is blue, as in, selected, then right click and rename it renames. To add, if I then press enter, it takes me to the Finder window.

Anyway, why is it whether the file is selected or not, and I choose rename, I can't simply start the renaming process immediately, versus having to select the file?

I'm probably just used to Windows still...

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
if I have a file that is not selected, and I right click on it, and choose rename, the item is sort of greyed out. I have to click on it, then start to type the rename.
I don’t see the behavior that you are describing, right-click selects a file and you can rename it.

As unrigestered explained above, Enter plays the role of F2 on macOS :)

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
most straight forward way (for me)
1. select file/folder either by left click or keyboard arrows
2. hit enter
3. start typing
4. when finished, hit enter again
...this actually works rather well. Thanks for sharing.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I don’t see the behavior that you are describing, right-click selects a file and you can rename it.
View attachment 2095870
Thanks for taking the time to create and share a video of the steps. Much appreciated.

Said steps work exactly as yours, on my home Mac Mini M1. Tomorrow, I will test the same process on my work MBP. That is where I see my issue...

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Also, coming to think of it, I just remembered. On my work MBP, I have OneDrive installed, and access the files and such, via OneDrive on the sidebar in Finder. It will be interesting to see if the issue is more related to the OneDrive data, versus macOS/Finder...

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
View attachment 2095870
More info. I was able to repeat my issue.

Steps...
  • File on my Desktop
  • Google Chrome is currently selected (watching a YouTube video)
  • Without selecting the file on my desktop, right click on it and choose Rename. Notice how it is grey, versus blue?
  • Start typing and you will notice only activity is in Chrome
So, seems like the trick is one cannot just simply right click and choose Rename. I need to make sure the file in question is actually selected. Yep, learning macOS, slowly :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.