Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sjfootballer01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Hi, apologies if this is sub-forum to ask, but the question didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

I had saved a bunch of webpage files from my browser via the method of Save Page As.. > Format: Webpage, complete, so that I ended up with an html file and a folder such as "webpage1.htm" + "webpage1_files."

My intent was to be able to view the pages offline and indefinitely.

I figured I could simply rename both of these, and as long as the titles matched (renamed_webpage1.htm + renamed_webpage1_files) the pages would display as they had originally. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to sever the connection between the htm file and the folder.

EDIT: Tried renaming the file and folder back but that didn't fix the issue. I suspect this might be due to the fact that the file name included special characters such as quotation marks, but not sure.

EDIT 2: It definitely did have to do with the quotation mark. I had tried typing " on my keyboard but the original was “. Side by side I can see the difference " “

My questions are...

1) Is it possible to rename the file and folder without screwing up how the page is displayed? I don't have any design software.

2) If I've damaged the files by renaming them, is there any way to fix them?

Thanks

Last edited:

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Hi, apologies if this is sub-forum to ask, but the question didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

I had saved a bunch of webpage files from my browser via the method of Save Page As.. > Format: Webpage, complete, so that I ended up with an html file and a folder such as "webpage1.htm" + "webpage1_files."

I figured I could simply rename both of these, and as long as the titles matched (renamed_webpage1.htm + renamed_webpage1_files) the pages would display as they had originally. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to sever the connection between the htm file and the folder.

My questions are...

1) Is it possible to rename the file and folder without screwing up how the page is displayed? I don't have any design software.

2) If I've damaged the files by renaming them, is there any way to fix them?

Thanks
Basically the files are assumed to be in a folder named a certain way, so that's where things break; so just change the name back and all will be good.

Not being familiar with what browser you're using to do save the website I can only say that the formats themselves are very simple; so unless the method of saving changes anything, by for instance adding its own compression, you should just be able to open the text files in any text editor and do a search-replace for the folder name to then be able to rename that folder in whatever way you prefer.

Sjfootballer01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Sorry should have mentioned. I already tried renaming the file and folder and that didn't fix the problem. I suspect this might be due to the fact that the file name included special characters such as quotation marks, but not sure.

I'm not a designer so I don't really understand what you're saying in the second part. It's an issue with the page not have the same layout. It just becomes a basic html file without the formatting, images, audio, etc. That's what I'm trying to maintain.

EDIT: It definitely did have to do with the quotation mark. I had tried typing " on my keyboard but the original was “. Side by side I can see the difference " “

Last edited:

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Sorry should have mentioned. I already tried renaming the file and folder and that didn't fix the problem. I suspect this might be due to the fact that the file name included special characters such as quotation marks, but not sure.
Yeah, not knowing the specifics of your situation I would just assume that you simply couldn't get it back to what the name was before.
I'm not a designer so I don't really understand what you're saying in the second part. It's an issue with the page not have the same layout. It just becomes a basic html file without the formatting, images, audio, etc. That's what I'm trying to maintain.
The .html-file that you open in your web browser…

Right-click and chose to open it with a text editor (like TextEdit).

What you hopefully will find is a fairly easy to read document where each external file (pictures etc, the resources added in that other folder) is referenced in an easy to read way.

You should see stuff like src="folder/picname.jpg" etc.

That's where you can rename the path to the file, so that it actually loads again.

You can keep going through the files like that to make sure that everything has the right path to where stuff is actually stored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.