Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This has probably been asked dozens of times, but a quick search didn't bring any hits up.

Is it possible to rename Siri on my HomePod? I use my HomePod as my alarm clock. Sometimes, when I set my wakeup time "Hey Siri, Wake me up at 6am" my phone will respond instead of my HomePod.

Ive found if I don't pause long enough after saying "Hey Siri", then it is more likely that my phone responds instead. Annoying.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
if your phone is face down on a surface, siri won't respond.
Thanks for the tip. The problem is that I keep my phone bedside me in stand-up wireless charger. Oh well, first world problem I guess.

If I pause long enough after "Hey Siri", then the HomePod and Cell Phone seem to communicate enough to know the HomePod should answer. I don't generally have a problem with my iPad responding, probably because I do charge it laying face down.

Thanks again for the tip.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Ultimately, I turned off “hey Siri” on my phone, iPad, and Apple watch. Those are easy enough to push the button. Now, only my HomePod replies.

Reactions: ipponrg

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes, that increased the likelihood of my phone responding rather than my HomePod.

This works fine by not using hey Siri with my phone and iPad.
Strange. I have an iPad and iPhone sitting on my nightstand beside me, an Apple Watch on my wrist and the HomePod on the other side of the bedroom and it always takes precedence. I see Siri on the other devices wake up but the HomePod always takes over. Try rebooting or resetting it (the HomePod).

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Strange. I have an iPad and iPhone sitting on my nightstand beside me, an Apple Watch on my wrist and the HomePod on the other side of the bedroom and it always takes precedence. I see Siri on the other devices wake up but the HomePod always takes over. Try rebooting or resetting it (the HomePod).
I also see the other devices wake up, and usually the HomePod wins the race, but it is not universal.

By shutting off Hey Siri on the devices I use in my hand, it solved the problem. It also solved the occasional problem when I am in a conversation with someone and Siri interrupts thinking she has been summoned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.