Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
I am trying to learn Automator and I'm completely lost. I would like Image Capture to rename files upon import, but not just one field change. I would like to have Automator change the name to include Date_Text change_Sequence number. Been looking around YT. Any help or links to tutorials would be very appreciated.

thanks

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Thank you for your suggestion. Not really sure I see the benefit of GC over an open source program like digiKam, but that's for a different thread. My main goal is to keep my software to a minimum and learn to use Automator, especially with Image Capture. Any leads on tutorials you've found helpful on that topic?

thanks

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm mostly replying to sign myself up for updates to this thread, and also to say that I share your frustration. Automator should be an amazing tool included with the OS, and yet for simple tasks like you've mentioned I've often run into problems when I tried, and I had no clear indication to what was going wrong. I'd guess it was my own error, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of glitch and Apple just hasn't put much time into polishing and updating the program (which has been around for a long, long time).

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Automator is seemingly being replaced with Shortcuts, so I wouldn’t put too much effort into learning it now. At least on iPadOS it’s pretty trivial to rename a bunch of photos with the date and such, and then save them to a folder in Files. So I assume it will be in another couple months on macOS too.

For the short term something like digikam should work, and then with the release of macOS 12 you can cut that piece of software out. A bash script could also probably do it pretty easily if it’s just the file name you’re changing and not any metadata. If it’s the EXIF image name though you’ll need a specific image tool (like imagemagick or exiftool). Or spend the time to do it in Automator now, and then just convert it to Shortcuts when that comes out. It seems like the conversion should be built-in.

Reactions: Ray2

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I’m not completely sure wether I understand the task needed correctly, but I would probably just create a system-wide service:

1. launch Automator
  2. when prompted, choose the "Service" template
  3. drag and drop the Rename Finder Items action to the workflow area on the right (you can find this action easily by typing 'rename' into the search bar in the upper left of Automator)
  4. you will be asked whether you want this service to duplicate files when they are renamed (preserving the originals) or just work on the files themselves (if you do this, your actions will not be undo-able)
  5. configure the action to whatever you want the default prompt to be (Add Date or Time, Add Text, Change Case, etc.) Set Make Sequential as default, but YMMV
  6. At the bottom of the action bubble, there are 3 small buttons (Results, Options, Description). Choose Options, and then tick the Show this action when the workflow runs-box)
  7. Athe top of the Automator window you must configure two dropdowns that specify what this Service will be active for. Set this to: Service receives FILES OR FOLDERS in FINDER.APP
  8. Save. Select any file in the Finder now, and under the Services menu you will find your new service (under the name you gave when saving) Whenever you run this service, you will get a popup window that allows you to configure the renaming pattern

Last edited:

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Thank for all the responses.
I’m not completely sure wether I understand the task needed correctly
Let me try and explain to see if maybe you know of a solution. When I import images from a camera it has an file name that means nothing to me, example dxs_8734, it's basically just an arbitrary sequence name. I would like to have an automation so when Image Capture imports the file it changes the file name with three separate categories of info. The date category, a descriptive name category and adding a relevant sequence numbering.

Right now I have to import the images into a folder, then I have to open the folder up, select the newly imported images and rename them(during this rename I only have the ability to rename two of the three categories of info I want added to the name and even then the sequence numbering is limited to beginning with either one digit or four zeros. Then I can go back and add the Date (at creation) using the Automator Service you outlined.

The only info I've found is to write shell script in Terminal?? I honestly don't know Terminal's language to confidently write this script. It seems like such a basic requirement of an Import program like Image Capture too suggest I must be missing something with either it or Automator.

Any insights are very welcome.
thanks

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
the above Automator script will allow easily allow renaming any number of pictures according to the naming pattern you provide.

If your photos include EXIF information - and provided that said info e.g. the date - is correctly said, you can easily use that to create that part of the naming pattern automatically.
if you want to do the conversion automatically while importing pictures a folder action might be offering more convenience than a service.

For more info how to do it in a terminal/shell see this thread.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I will reiterate Graphic Converter. It is true shareware, so you don't pay until you have given it a good workout and are convinced it is something you want to use on a regular basis. The name conversion below was of 364 images. It took me about a minute to set and double check the parameters, then the conversion took about 1 second on my 2009 MacPro. Conversion is in place so no dupes to delete. Index starts 1 up from wherever you set the start point, however few or many digits you like. I could have started at 119 had I had any reason to do so. You notice I was able to insert 'CO_' into the names. That lets me know it was a Colorado trip and the dash clearly defines the index numbers.

Note: I pulled the left side of the image from a back up which was done before I did the name change.

EDIT: Date is pulled from EXIF info.
Screen shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.27 AM.png

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Not to dissuade you from Automator. An alternative might be import to a folder with whatever name you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.