Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi all
I rented Mazda CX-5 for the next two weeks and I synced my iPhone 15 via Bluetooth just fine but when I go to applications-> CarPlay I can see it, but it’s greyed out (Android Auto is also greyed out). Does this mean Avis went to great lengths to disable this feature or is there something else I need to do to enable it? (I did press the voice button on the car as well)

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all
I rented Mazda CX-5 for the next two weeks and I synced my iPhone 15 via Bluetooth just fine but when I go to applications-> CarPlay I can see it, but it’s greyed out (Android Auto is also greyed out). Does this mean Avis went to great lengths to disable this feature or is there something else I need to do to enable it? (I did press the voice button on the car as well)

Thanks
Did you connect a USB cable? That car may not have Wireless CarPlay.

Reactions: rhett7660

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Tried via BT and via usb cable (with BT still enabled. Phone charges but still can’t get the airplay to activate. Pretty crazy if Avis actively disabled!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Tried via BT and via usb cable (with BT still enabled. Phone charges but still can’t get the airplay to activate. Pretty crazy if Avis actively disabled!
I would call them and inquire. I wonder if there’s a maximum amount of iPhones that can be paired to the car. People tend to to not unpair their phones when they return the car.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi all

Thanks
How many USB ports are there in the car/head unit? Typically there are 2 or more... have you tried them all? Some may not be CarPlay enabled...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
What year is it? Unless it is a 2024 model, most have to be usb plugged in. There should be two in the center console compartment. Both should show up as carplay usb ports.

Plug a USB cable in and then plug the other end into your phone.

If your car is turned off, turn it on, wait a few seconds for the entertainment center to fully boot up. There will be five icons, go all the way to left and press. it will show all the connections. Scroll down and you will see the Carplay selection. Highlight and press.

If your car is already started and you plug in... wait a few seconds. If is it on the radio or bluetooth player, scroll all the way to the left at the bottom and select the icon... it will show all the connections. Scroll down and you will see the Carplay selection. Highlight and press.

Carplay sometimes, usually, doesn't start on it's own.

Also, mine has been grayed out since I bought it, but that doesn't prevent me from using carplay.

2021 Mazda CX-5 X2 owner. Both me and wife have one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.