Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
My iPhone 8 plus has been a reliable companion for more than 5 years. I love the 8 Plus! The battery is now at 75% and last week I managed to drop the phone, resulting in cracks on the screen. I am contemplating sending the phone to Apple service for a screen and battery replacement.

Does a screen replacement at Apple service include a new touch button?

Does it make sense to spend money on repairs on an old iPhone? Maybe I should simply buy a new iPhone?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Have you tried pricing it because if you have you’ll find that it makes no sense at all to have your iPhone 8 Plus’ screen repaired and a new battery fitted. It would cost you around £250 for those things alone which is considerably more expensive than a replacement unit. I think a Touch ID button replacement is included in your screen replacement if the button isn’t functioning properly.

I would personally look at getting a new phone as your iPhone 8 will no longer be supported by Apple later this year as iOS 16 will likely be the final major version for your phone.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My iPhone 8 plus has been a reliable companion for more than 5 years. I love the 8 Plus! The battery is now at 75% and last week I managed to drop the phone, resulting in cracks on the screen. I am contemplating sending the phone to Apple service for a screen and battery replacement.

Does a screen replacement at Apple service include a new touch button?

Does it make sense to spend money on repairs on an old iPhone? Maybe I should simply buy a new iPhone?
More than likely you will get a new button. I believe the screen and button are one unit for Touch ID phones. And only Apple has the proper tools to reprogram Touch ID.

As to it making sense, does it have to? Why deny yourself something you want because it 'doesn't make sense' to anyone else?

We aren't paying your bills.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
Thank you Andeddu and eyoungren! I believe I have already given up on the 8 Plus. I has served me well since February 2018, repair is very expensive, and I need a 100% functioning iPhone. It is time to move on.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
A follow up question: When is the best time to buy an IPhone 14 pro max? Is it likely to be dropped from the lineup after the September iPhone 15 launch?
Yes, they don't sell the previous Pro models after a new phone is released. They'll likely continue offering only the 14 and 14 Plus though.

Reactions: bjolester

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Respect for keeping your phone for so long! I wouldn't bother fixing it at this point, but if you aren't wanting to spend much you could pick up the same model on Swappa for cheap. Support for it might be dropped come next with iOS 17. We'll see.

As for the 14 Pro, yes Apple drops them (Pro models) from their stores, but you should still be able to buy one from Best Buy and the like for several months after the 15 is released.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
A follow up question: When is the best time to buy an IPhone 14 pro max? Is it likely to be dropped from the lineup after the September iPhone 15 launch?
We here can recommend the Apple refurbished store. There should still be the pro for 15% discount with full warranty, new battery and casing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.