Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
Ever since I upgraded to 10.4.3 I keep getting the below log everytime I repair permissions. I am running Tiger on a Powerbook. Can anyone help?

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I get the same on the seven machines I repair permissions on (or is it eight?) and I don't worry about it. I found 10.4.2 had similar problems albeit not nearly as bad. It just seems to be one of the many new 10.4.3 features.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It's just warnings to let you know that special permissions are used. If you look closely you'll notice that none of the permissions actually have been changed. Nothing to worry about... :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
mad jew said:
Really? I thought the new permissions part implied they had been changed. :confused:
I think they specify when a permission is changed...

Edit: Just did a small experiment. I messed with the permissions on the World Clock widget and then repaired permissions, and what do you know (;)):
Code:
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist.  New permissions are 33188
Permissions differ on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x 
[B]Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt
Permissions corrected on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt[/B]
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets.  New permissions are 16877

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. I didn't doubt you at all. I was just kinda thinking out loud (as much as you can in an online forum). It's interesting all the same. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
mad jew said:
Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. I didn't doubt you at all. I was just kinda thinking out loud (as much as you can in an online forum). It's interesting all the same. :)
No problem... you just made me doubt myself just enogh to run that little experiment to see if I had got it wrong... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.