Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
I sent my MBA M2 in for a covered repair, and they completed it same-day within hours of it arriving. It arrived there at about 4am and was marked completed by 2pm. Based on the symptoms, at minimum they would have had to replace the display, and possibly the M2 chip itself if the graphics problems went beyond just the screen.

That repair turnaround seems almost too fast. Is this normal? It's the first time I've ever had to send a Mac in for repairs.

Second question. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to see what repairs were performed? I'm curious exactly what they found. The built-in display had become entirely non-functional, and external display wasn't working, so I couldn't see results of the hardware diagnostics I tried to run.

Attachments

• RepairTurnaround.jpg
    RepairTurnaround.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 93

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They probably just replaced the logic board. Unless your display is cracked, liquid damaged, or you went inside to cut the flex cable, why would Apple need to replace the display?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think that the longest part of a repair is ordering/waiting for replacement parts.
That would probably be rare at a regional repair center--the repair tech would just get parts needed off the shelf.
No need to wait for much of anything, so repair would go from start to finish. I expect that a repair tech would get pretty good (and pretty quick) when doing only MBAir repairs from day to day. Longest time would be waiting for a test to complete, so maybe a couple of hours, start to finish, for just about any parts replacement.
In my experience, the repair center may include a list of what was replaced.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I sent my MBA M2 in for a covered repair, and they completed it same-day within hours of it arriving. It arrived there at about 4am and was marked completed by 2pm. Based on the symptoms, at minimum they would have had to replace the display, and possibly the M2 chip itself if the graphics problems went beyond just the screen.

That repair turnaround seems almost too fast. Is this normal? It's the first time I've ever had to send a Mac in for repairs.

Second question. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to see what repairs were performed? I'm curious exactly what they found. The built-in display had become entirely non-functional, and external display wasn't working, so I couldn't see results of the hardware diagnostics I tried to run.
This is typical turnaround time on these sorts of repairs. The repair depots are very specialized in working on Apple portables so they have everything ready to go.

Reactions: DeltaMac

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
FWIW, couldn't find any additional information in the online support panel about what work was completed on the device, but they did provide a physical worklist in the return box:

We replaced the part(s) listed below.

Description: Display, Space Gray
Symptom: Display flickering/flashing

Description: Lid Angle Sensor
Symptom: Ports/Headphone Jack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.