Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I have been unable to boot as a specific user after updating macOS. I want to identify the problem with that user.
The Mac crashes immediately after logging in for that particular user. In the case of Safe Boot, a forced reboot will occur before the user selection after the boot process is displayed. I cannot downgrade even with TimeMachine.

Perhaps it is a validation in the user's library folder, from which folder should I validate?
*I have root user enabled.

---
macOS 12.4

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have been unable to boot as a specific user after updating macOS. I want to identify the problem with that user.
The Mac crashes immediately after logging in for that particular user. In the case of Safe Boot, a forced reboot will occur before the user selection after the boot process is displayed. I cannot downgrade even with TimeMachine.

Perhaps it is a validation in the user's library folder, from which folder should I validate?
*I have root user enabled.

---
macOS 12.4
Login in as root user, open the Console app and look for any crash logs. Open the crash log and see what it reports. Should be able to get some idea of the problem.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
Login in as root user, open the Console app and look for any crash logs. Open the crash log and see what it reports. Should be able to get some idea of the problem.
Thank you. But the crash log is empty in the console app.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I have not been able to determine which file caused the crash, but the crash is no longer happening with a particular user.
I created a root user and a new user to verify the problem, but it was still a failure limited to a specific user, as there was no problem with those. I have opened console.app on all accounts and checked the logs, but in all of them the contents were empty. Is the failure not considered a fault by the system?

I first suspected the Preferences folder in the user library and first deleted all files beginning with "com.apple". Then the crashes stopped. I decided to restore from backup only the configuration files for applications (Music, Dock, FaceTime, Finder, etc.) among the configuration files starting with com.apple, and build a new configuration for the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.