Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
So I received my phone today from the Genius Bar after having the back casing repaired after an accident, shortly in the day my phone got into a bit of contact with water, in the kitchen. And now the camera is fogging up along with the Face ID which isn function properly now. So what do I do?!?! I’m expecting a call from apple support later in the day in regards to this as I call it a “botched” repair. The phone shouldn’t have a foggy camera as a tiny bit of water shouldn’t hurt a phone that’s got a high amount of water resistance. Do you guys think I’m at fault or the store for the botched repair. I personally think that it’s half and half as there could be a botched repair. I had no choice but to go to the store because of my accident with the phone (cracked back) and for the safety of my household I don’t go out and about a lot. So do you think I need to pay for accidental damage after a repair that was messed up?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
As far as I am aware the phone has water resistance. You should not have foggy camera after contact with water. It seems to me that something went wrong with the installation of the back panel. It was not closed properly and it allows water to enter. This is my explanation. For me it is a botched repair as water is not supposed to enter the device and the camera.

Reactions: M.Shaf213

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
I think you’re right! Everything else works fine the cameras are foggy and the Face ID is affected too. This shouldn’t happen. I can’t go back to the store due to the pandemic and to keep my household safe. The only reason I went was so my hands wouldn’t get cut up from the severely cracked glass back. Hopefully support will be able to come up with a resolution..

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Oh yes, one other thing I forgot to mention, they also took my SIM card and never returned it to me.. I had totally thought that they were going to either return it to me or at least acknowledge that it was to be removed....

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
How much is "a bit of water"? Although it doesn't matter, as water damage is excluded from warranty new, repaired or used.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'd say you have a good chance of getting the phone replaced... Just work with them until you get the result you're looking for. They can't dispute that the phone was just repaired by them and it's unlikely you could of damaged the seal in such a short time.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Just curious, what did Apple say when you contacted them back?
So here’s an update, they reached out to me and explained that there is some “90” warranty with repairs, I did the express warranty replacement and and they probably won’t me for accidental damage when I send them back the phone. If they do I’ll need to reach back to support. It was most likely that the repair wasn’t properly

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
How much is "a bit of water"? Although it doesn't matter, as water damage is excluded from warranty new, repaired or used.
A small amount, as in a spilling glass of water. it wasn’t like I dropped it in a pool or at the sea ?

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Bu
Water leakage is not Apls problem on new phones and especially not on repaired phones. I believe you're SOL
But when they do a faulty repair it probably on them. These phones are advertised as IP 68. I don’t think a glass of water should hurt the phone and it’s too new for the seals not to work properly..

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
When they get the phone back, they will be able to tell if the repair was faulty. Also, there are a number of ways they will be able to check for water damage and will be able to tell if any repair led to the water damage or not. IP68 does not mean waterproof, it means resistant under a specific test standard. That's why Apple's warranty does not cover water damage.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
When they get the phone back, they will be able to tell if the repair was faulty. Also, there are a number of ways they will be able to check for water damage and will be able to tell if any repair led to the water damage or not. IP68 does not mean waterproof, it means resistant under a specific test standard. That's why Apple's warranty does not cover water damage.
I am aware that the phone is water resistant and not waterproof. A glass of water shouldn’t hurt the phone in any way.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
When Apple is showing a commercial with a guy baking with his phone, getting flour on it, and then rinsing it under the faucet, they NEED to start covering water damage. THEY ran the ad. If they're not really resistant, then STOP with the commercials!

Good luck OP.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
When Apple is showing a commercial with a guy baking with his phone, getting flour on it, and then rinsing it under the faucet, they NEED to start covering water damage. THEY ran the ad. If they're not really resistant, then STOP with the commercials!

Good luck OP.
I don’t do anything any company advertises on their commercials. Especially when it’s something stupid like running an electronic device in water. I don’t put my phone near any form of water intentionally and don’t intend to either even if it’s water RESISTANT.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Much better to check for water deals after a repair than long after and be out of luck. Good to hear the update on replacement

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I don’t do anything any company advertises on their commercials. Especially when it’s something stupid like running an electronic device in water. I don’t put my phone near any form of water intentionally and don’t intend to either even if it’s water RESISTANT.
I never said you did. I am just annoyed with Apple for advertising alleged 'features' that violate their warranty.

Reactions: Trin813

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I never said you did. I am just annoyed with Apple for advertising alleged 'features' that violate their warranty.
I agree - it’s dumb that a company advertises something to withstand a level of water resistance that it clearly doesn’t have. I just would never intentionally do any of that even if there was proof that it could and if a company says I could. I spend a lot of money on my phone and I wouldn’t dare jeopardize the safety of my phone just to see if it’ll do what the commercials do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.