Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaclasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2024
So. I have a iphone 3g that is disabled, and needs to be connected to iTunes. But connecting it to iTunes just results in Itunes complaining that I need to unlock the phone, which I cant do. This means I need to put the phone into DFU mode to wipe it, but the phone's power button doesn't work, and no working power button means no DFU mode. Luckily I have a replacement power button thats currently inside a spare case, and discovered that the ribbon cable for the broken power button has what looks like white specs of mold/damage everywhere on it. (which probably explains why its broken in the first place, the inside of the phone smelt of cigarette smoke anyway)

(The spare iphone had its battery expand and destroy everything execpt for the glass screen digitizer, power button and probably all the buttons. The power button being an exception since I know it works from the tests I have done)

Thats all the information I can give, now for the main question; how should I repair the power button?

1: Place the battery, logic board and screen into the spare iphone 3g case with (what im pretty sure is) a working power button. (although im unsure of the condition of the volume buttons and mute switch. I wont need them for DFU mode plus I will probably be replacing them anyway)

2: Install the working power button into the iPhone 3g without a working power button

This will be my first "repair" if it works out properly, which will be great progress for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.