Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
So I sent in my iphone 6 to get battery service. Mind you, I am already waiting for a settlement in the class action lawsuit regarding the iphone 6 model. Apple responds by telling me they cannot fix my battery because the the "main logic board" needs to be repaired first- for $300 bloody dollars. They refused to give me any more information about the repair needs. So I paid them $65 dollars for the privilege of having them tell me to pay $300 more for basic service on an old phone that has already been the subject of litigation ?

My question- does anyone know where I can get the "main logic board" fixed on an iphone 6 by someone independent outside of Apple ? I live in central Denver CO and I am trying to determine whether it is even worth trying to fix this phone. I will probably laugh out loud when I find out the amount of the claim I am supposed to receive from the lawsuit !!

Any and all help appreciated.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s not worth fixing your phone. For the cost of having someone do a board level repair to your unsupported iPhone 6 you could purchase a used iPhone 7 which is still supported by Apple and a much better phone in all respects...

Reactions: alpi123

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
It’s not worth fixing your phone. For the cost of having someone do a board level repair to your unsupported iPhone 6 you could purchase a used iPhone 7 which is still supported by Apple and a much better phone in all respects...

Thanks for being honest !! I'm anticipating Apple will give me about $1.98 from this Iphone 6 lawsuit, which also seems to involve iphone 7 and 7 plus

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for being honest !! I'm anticipating Apple will give me about $1.98 from this Iphone 6 lawsuit, which also seems to involve iphone 7 and 7 plus
Well ideally I would suggest the new iPhone SE2 for $399 as this choice would give you a vastly superior device that will last a long time over the iPhone 6S, 7 or 8. You didn’t mention your budget so $400 plus tax might not be what you’re willing to spend..

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I concur with Bugeye. It is better to get a newer phone, than sink more money into your current phone. Newer technology and a fresh Apple warranty would be an improvement, in my opinion.

Thanks- I see I can get a refurbed iphone 8 for about $200 and change, no apple warranty though.

I've always gotten good use out of my outdated Apple iphones, it's a bummer that this thing is just a useless lemon. As I said earlier.... it will probably be laughable what the settlement pays !!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Don't put any money into the iPhone 6.
Any third party repair shop will charge you more than what it's worth. You could buy a used broken 6 on eBay for parts to fix yours - but the cost of that ($20) Plus repair labor wouldn't be worth it. I've seen fair condition used iPhone 6 get auctioned on eBay for $29. Working phone.

As far as that settlement money you think you'll be getting from some class action lawsuit — don't hold your breath for that. If it does ever get paid out years from now, I bet you'll get less than $20.

• Wow
Reactions: EricaV

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
appreciate this. I think you are being generous with the $20 !! I still think it's hilarious that apple wanted to charge me $300 to fix it. I told them so, not that they care.

Thanks again !

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Well ideally I would suggest the new iPhone SE2 for $399 as this choice would give you a vastly superior device that will last a long time over the iPhone 6S, 7 or 8. You didn’t mention your budget so $400 plus tax might not be what you’re willing to spend..

Appreciate that. My current phone is an iphone 8 and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it. These other phones would all be for temporary SIM card use or to give to my Mom (but iphone 6 is clearly not even functional enough for that).

What do you like about the SE2 ? Eventually I will upgrade from my 8.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would not invest more time in an iPhone 6. Technology has moved on quite a bit. The SE carries the torch of the old fashioned iPhone with fingerprint reader and all current internals for a good price.

I’d stay away from anything “refurbished “ that wasn’t refurbished by Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Appreciate that. My current phone is an iphone 8 and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it. These other phones would all be for temporary SIM card use or to give to my Mom (but iphone 6 is clearly not even functional enough for that).

What do you like about the SE2 ? Eventually I will upgrade from my 8.
Modern/most recent chipset, better camera and camera software, longer support, great price and reliable iPhone 8 design to name a few strong points.. I’m sure others can chime in with other improvements over previous iPhones...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.