Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hi All,
Wondering if you can help me please.
I have a 13" 2012 MBP upgraded with a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Now the issue I had is that today, when adding a song into iTunes, it started coming up with errors. No issues I thought, just force quit iTunes and reopen, however, it would fail to reopen.

I then decided to restart my mac, however, every time I clicked restart, it wouldn't restart, I therefore made the silly error of holding the power button to switch off, now, it won't boot up using the SSD.

I've tried safe start, however to no avail. I have my original MacBook Pro HDD in a USB caddy which I left how it is. I am now booting of that and trying to copy my user files over to an external HDD. Went into disk utility and was told that my EFI is missing.

I have ran "diskutil list" and this is what I've got:

Junels-MacBook-Pro:~ Junel$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
1: Apple_HFS Macintosh SSD 255.2 GB disk0s1
2: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s2
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 499.2 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2
1: Windows_NTFS Seagate Expansion Drive 2.0 TB disk2s1

Please advise on what I can do, thanks!

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I assume disk0 there is your SSD. There should be an EFI partition there like you see on disk1.

If you had the SSD working at one point, you obviously had a functional EFI partition and now it is gone. If you were not messing around with partitions, nothing would cause this to happen on its own. I suspect you have a bad SSD.

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hi Weaselboy,

Thanks for the quick reply, I haven't been messing around with partitions, I don't have the need to, the only thing I did was a hard shutdown due to the issue described.

Trying to copy my user directory over onto an external HDD by just a simple copy and paste, or is there a special way to do this?

Should I just wipe the drive and reinstall for now or rearrange to send my SSD back how it is?

Thanks Again.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Weaselboy,

Thanks for the quick reply, I haven't been messing around with partitions, I don't have the need to, the only thing I did was a hard shutdown due to the issue described.

Trying to copy my user directory over onto an external HDD by just a simple copy and paste, or is there a special way to do this?

Should I just wipe the drive and reinstall for now or rearrange to send my SSD back how it is?

Thanks Again.

To copy your stuff off select the SSD and do a command-i to get the get info panel then check the box at the bottom to ignore permissions on the drive. Hopefully that will let you drag and drop some data from the SSD to another drive. It may not work at all with the drive being bad like this though.

I would just use Disk Util to erase the SSD if you can to get your personal data off there then exchange it. Sounds like this one is a goner. :(

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Ahh, I've forgotten to click select permissions, if it comes up with permission errors later on in the copy, I know what to do, or I know what to copy anyway and just to pick and choose.

Not looking forward to the massive speed decrease when putting my old HDD in, I may try and erase and reinstall for now, and call up eBuyer tomorrow and explain that I am going to want a new drive soon.

Thanks for you help!

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
I have just spoken to AppleCare, they've also concluded that the SSD is knackered, just rang Amazon which is where I actually bought the drive from and they have offered me a full refund.

Not sure on what to go with next, so started a new thread in the hardware section of here!

Thanks for all your help Weaselboy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.