Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I need to fix the back glass on my iPhone XS Max and found some listings on ebay that I can send it to and have it repaired and sent back. My thought is to send it to one of them after getting my new phone, having it fixed and within 30 days send it to Verizon as my trade in. Does anyone know how well 3rd party repairs come out vs. Apple repairs? Anyone have any thoughts in general on my plan?

Thanks

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
wow interesting. I know its extremely expensive to replace the back because the electronics are attached to the phone so either the ebay sellers have a known fix, or they are full of it. I'd love to see the results. It would be great to have this option.

Reactions: kat.hayes

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is just one data point from one 3rd party repair shop, but… my wife dropped her Xs and broke the back glass. I took it to a local (apple authorized) repair shop. They fixed the glass no problem, but somehow disabled the volume buttons and broke the FaceID camera so that it couldn't focus on objects right in front of it anymore.

The shop did the right thing and owned up to the mistake, but it was a huge hassle. personally, I wouldn't do that repair through a 3rd party again.

Again, just one data point, so take it for what it's worth.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There's a cheap and easy way to do it. You can laser off the back glass without removing any internal components. It's risky.

The proper way to do it is to remove all internal components before using the laser. Obviously, this is more expensive but in many cases, costs more than $200.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Wow, lots of good info. So there are listings on ebay for like $60 that claim to have a 1-5 day turn around to replace the back glass....They also had what seemed lots of positive reviews, though I didnt go through them yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.