Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
A couple of days ago, there was a red badge on the Settings app on my wife's 2020 iPhone SE. In Settings, there was a red badge on General, and after tapping General, a message popped up saying that she needed to enter her iCloud password "to continue to use some services."

She entered her iCloud password, and all seemed fine, until several hours later, when the red badge reappeared. This happened several times over the next 24 hours. Entering the password seemed to make the iPhone happy, until it got unhappy again.

This morning, her iPhone was happy, but the red badge had appeared on her iPad. She entered the iCloud password, as requested, and the iPad was happy, but then her iPhone immediately showed the red badge. I watched as she then entered the password on her iPhone, which made the iPhone happy again, but the iPad then showed the badge.

Per some advice I found on the web, we did the usual of rebooting both devices, to no avail.

Another site suggested that she sign out of iCloud on both devices, which she did. Per the advice she chose to save iCloud data locally on both devices.

After signing back into iCloud on her iPhone, she selected to merge the data on her iPhone with what was in iCloud. She then got a message I've never seen before: Messages in iCloud not available as iCloud and iMessage accounts do not match. Messages in iCloud is not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different.

I checked on both devices and the Apple ID address is definitely the same on both devices. I wondered whether her account had been compromised and her iCloud password changed, but she can sign into icloud.com via a browser with her usual Apple ID and her iCloud password without a problem.

At this point, I'm stumped as far as what to consider next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.