Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Weeks ago I downloaded an app on my iPhone, used it briefly, and then deleted it. Ever since then I have been periodically getting alerts on my Mac saying "Unable to Download App: <app name> could not be installed. Please try again later."

I can find no way to tell the Mac to stop worrying about this app. That I don't care about downloading it to my Mac (why would I, anyway, it's an iOS app?!??).

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
That sounds screwed up but what's your setting at: App Store>Preferences…>Automatically download apps purchased on other devices?
Good thought. I disabled that App Store preference on the Mac. We'll see if that solved the problem.

Smartish Home

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2022
I have this issue with my Mac running Big Sur 11.6.7 as well. I repeatedly receive notifications from the App Store saying "Unable to Download App" " 'app name' could not be installed. Please try again later."
The apps are iOS apps and this Mac is a mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina so I have no expectation or desire for the App Store to attempt to install the apps it is notifying me about.

I have turned off the App Store preference to "Automatically download apps purchased on other devices." This has not been able to solve my problem though.

Can I force the mac App Store to stop trying to download apps that it should know are not compatible with this mac?

As an aside, I have a Mac mini that is newer (from 2018 that is also Intel based) and runs the current Ventura OS and it has never given me this notification about an inability to download iOS apps.

Smartish Home

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2022
You can try "DisableSoftwareUpdateNotifications". I'm not sure what "restrict-store-disable-app-adoption" does
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/appstore
More about ""restrict-store-softwareupdate-only" https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-block-app-store.2377797/
Thank you. I'm going to have to look around to figure out how to implement this when I have a free moment. I'll reply once I implement and have a chance to see if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.