Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dss_cottage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
I have an iPod Classic that is continually giving me the "Use iTunes to Restore" error message.
  • Model MB029C
  • 80GB

• I have restored it using iTunes a few times and done a partial reload of my songs but the process repeats.
  • After a restore, it will play normally for several hours and then give me the error message again.
  • Sometimes (but not always) after a "Restore" message, if I press "Action" & "Menu", it will reboot and will play normally for a few hours.
  • Sometimes after pressing "Action" & "Menu", I will get the message "Connect to Power". (It is almost fully charged). When I do so, normal operation sometimes but not always resumes but it will ultimately give me the Restore message.
  • If I connect the working iPod to power, it seems to play without interruption.
Based on another post I got into Diagnostics mode. I'm not knowledgeable here but I didn't see anything abnormal. The disk test gave me the following results:
  • Retracts 1
  • Reallocates 0
  • Pending Sectors 0
  • Power On Hours 14396
  • Start/Stops 32547
  • Temp Current 24C
  • Temp Min 12C
  • Temp Max 56C
I'm at my wits end. Can anyone suggest what to try next?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It sounds like the 80 GB hard drive in your classic is acting up. Trying to find a replacement for it can be difficult and expensive. As far as I'm aware, there really is no way to test it like you would on a Mac or PC.

However, you can replace it with a SD. The folks at www.ifixit.com have procedures and instructions on how to do it. It's not that difficult if you're up to it. Just make sure you have all your music and other things backed up.

dss_cottage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Thank you for your suggestion.

I'll try this but I always look at these situations as learning experiences. I want to determine how to prove the problem and understand why I'm doing what needs to be done.

• Given that the problem repeats but presents it's self a little differently tells me that I have a marginal problem.
  • When the problem presents itself when operating on battery but not when connected to power, I'd assume that the battery may be involved.
  • I'm not knowledgeable here but I though that the HD diagnostics indicated that the HDD was working correctly.
Is there any way that I can perform additional diagnostics to check the battery or create a log file that would report errors when the iPod failed?

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
If you take it apart to install some flash storage you might as well replace the battery at the same time, if it is still the original.

dss_cottage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
I've looked at the ifixit.com "how to" instructions. If I try to replace the HDD and/or battery, I'm definitely going to screw it up. I'm definitely not an "Apple Person". I have many pet peeves about Apple. This is just one more. This iPod is not made to be easily repaired. Obviously, Apple would prefer that we just buy a new one. I only have this iPod because it was a gift.

Therefore, I've decided not to attempt a hardware fix.

I have a Denon dock that I use to play the iPod on the home entertainment system. Since it is powered, the iPod works fine in that application.

I've decided to buy a new MP3 player for portable use (not Apple).

However, thank you for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.