Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I currently have a 2nd generation Apple TV connected to an HD t.v. I realize that the current Apple TV works with 4K but I'm not planning to update that t.v. any time soon. My question is about the available apps.

Over time, many of the apps on the home screen no longer work. For instance if I click on TED it says it is not available, try again later. My question is whether that's common to all generations of Apple TV, including the current one, or is the unavailability of the apps due to the age of my unit?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I currently have a 2nd generation Apple TV
You probably meant the 2nd gen Apple TV 4K, as the 2nd gen ATV is now 14 years old.

Over time, many of the apps on the home screen no longer work. For instance if I click on TED it says it is not available, try again later.
I almost guarantee that this has more to do with developers no longer supporting tvOS version of apps rather than the version of Apple TV that you have is old.

unless something has changed recently, there are hardly any apps that are unsupported on one tvOS ATV that will work on a newer tvOS ATV. For example, the Apple TV 4 (HD) that came out in 2015 when tvOS launched will be compatible with 99.9% of the apps that the newest 2022 ATV4K3 can play.

There are a few apps that might not be compatible, most, if not all, are games.

My question is whether that's common to all generations of Apple TV, including the current one, or is the unavailability of the apps due to the age of my unit?
It is most likely due to the developer no longer supporting tvOS. Basically, Apple is driving away what little tvOS developers there were.

tvOS has been hemorrhage third party developers for a while now. I made a thread about it a few years back when SMG, the maker of the iOS and tvOS game RISK, stop supporting the tvOS version of it. Evidently, Apple has made development on tvOS very difficult, and considering that Apple lost a huge amount of the streaming box marketshare over the past 10 years, there isn't an incentive to develop and support tvOS version of apps.

This is most likely what is happening to TED and your other apps that no longer work.

I have so many apps on my 2015 ATV4 that have been abandon by the developers. Some can't be downloaded anymore. Some can still be downloaded, but no longer work. Some can be downloaded, opened, but not fully used because it is broken.

I was hoping that Apple would turn it around, but they never really seem to have any interest in ATV since the launch of tvOS.

Reactions: mac_in_tosh

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, don't be confused by an idea that if you get a 4K AppleTV, you must own a 4K TV... or that the latter must come before the former. Neither is true. Having MORE hardware capability to work with lessor other parts is no problem at all. A 4K AppleTV will render for a 1080p or 720p TV just fine. Better hardware will simply serve up maximum quality to lessor hardware.

In spite of not making direct use of the headline feature of the new generation, you'll also get far faster chips, up-to-date apps, HDR support, etc: all of many benefits that come with "latest & greatest." Your endangered/extinct App functionality problem will also be solved for the next few years.

Your Mac, Phone, iPad or similar are likely overkill (hardware) for your needs too. For example, if you own select Macs, yours may be able to output 8K resolution, but you probably do not have an 8K monitor. Most modern Macs have Thunderbolt 4 connections but few of us own much Thunderbolt 4-based supporting hardware (just about everything steps DOWN from full T4 capability to be used with that superior hardware): most commonly, T4 to Hub, which then lets up to everything else connect with inferior (to T4) connections.

You probably rarely- if ever- tax any the Apple hardware you own. And yet, you probably own such hardware anyway. Why? Because "the rest" is part of the value and if some parts of them have capabilities beyond what you can use today, that's OK- maybe you'll use/need them tomorrow.

If you buy a 4K AppleTV today, your next TV will probably be 4K (the 1080p option is fading fast at retailers). But even if a <4K television outlasts it, the rest of what it can do will bring great value... WHILE maximizing for the TV you already own.

Last edited:

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
It is indeed the 2nd gen Apple TV that I have (A1378), not the 4K version. I just haven't used it much in recent years in part because of the increasingly reduced functionality of the apps, hence my original post. There seems to be a mixed message response so far. Can someone give a short sample list of what apps work on the current or more recent versions of Apple TV? Thanks.

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Most apps that work will work on your hardware. some apps the developers stop updating, I don’t know of a list but I have noticed that Twitter/X, AirBnB, Vimeo amongst others no longer work on any devices at the choice of the developers. I suggest you mention the apps you can’t get to work anymore, maybe someone will know something.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My first AppleTV(s) were the third generation, so I'm not familiar with the second. But I replaced them with two AppleTV HD's (aka fourth generation) about 4 years ago. The big change in the fourth generation was the addition of an app store. The older models had pre-installed apps that were only updated when Apple provided new software for the whole device. The app store allows individual developers to issue their own updates anytime.

The specific reason I got rid of the third generation model was that I subscribed to Sling for streaming, and there was no Sling app for the old models, it is only available from the app store. So, updating to (any) newer model will give you a much bigger selection of apps. However, from what you have posted, that might not be something you want.

There were a number of posts awhile ago confirming that Apple has dropped support for the third generation and you can no longer enter your AppleID which effectively locks you out of many things. I'm sure that happened even longer ago on the second generation device. If you didn't notice, then perhaps this is just something you don't need?

I don't think we could give you a list of all the apps, no doubt there are hundreds (if not thousands). Some are mentioned on their site

Here's a thread from last year on the topic

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
OP, that thing is ancient, treat yourself to a new (much much) better ATV.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
It is indeed the 2nd gen Apple TV that I have (A1378), not the 4K version. I just haven't used it much in recent years in part because of the increasingly reduced functionality of the apps, hence my original post. There seems to be a mixed message response so far. Can someone give a short sample list of what apps work on the current or more recent versions of Apple TV? Thanks.
2nd gen is a paperweight now, dont expect any apps to support it. time to upgrade.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I currently have a 2nd generation Apple TV connected to an HD t.v. I realize that the current Apple TV works with 4K but I'm not planning to update that t.v. any time soon. My question is about the available apps.

Over time, many of the apps on the home screen no longer work. For instance if I click on TED it says it is not available, try again later. My question is whether that's common to all generations of Apple TV, including the current one, or is the unavailability of the apps due to the age of my unit?
it is just because of the age. Apple still supports the Apple TV 4 (later renamed the Apple TV HD) which was released in 2015 and newer, so you'll have a better experience with up to date software but updating to a newer Apple TV.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
OP, a new ATV is supposedly due in a month or two, you should buy it, and for $20, get the ethernet model if you need that. I use mine primarily for all the streaming apps as well as commercial TV apps, as well as youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.