Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
My wife’s iPhone XS is now 4 years old. Needless to say the battery has degraded over the years. Currently it is sitting at 80% for the past 6 months. She wants to have the battery replaced but there doesn’t seem to be an official way to do so. The support app says the battery is fine and won’t let me book an appointment with apple care. Starting a manual chat results in the same thing. We are ready to pay for a battery replacement but apple won’t let us. It is frustrating.

Any workaround to this? Alternatively, is there a way to force the battery below 80% so that we can get a replacement?

Reactions: Reggaenald

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
In France we can replace a battery of any iPhone if health is 80% or below. I would try it again !
Even between 81-85% it can be done if you're lucky to found a cool person and you communicate properly

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
This is so stupid, they refuse to replace the battery? That actually sounds criminal to me, they offer the service but won’t do it no matter what while other people get their batteries replaced with 90%? Stubborn like their seniors…

Reactions: ArkSingularity

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If you are willing to pay for it, you can replace it at any point and do not need to wait for the battery capacity to fall below 80%. If you are not in the US, change the page below for your country:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Bring it to an Apple store they'll replace it in about an hour.. I had my iPhone X done last November and it was at 82%. I was able to book an appointment so not sure why you're having trouble. Maybe you should make an appointment for something different then just say it's for the battery when you get there

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Normal wear and tear after 4 years of use. It’ll cost you more if you go through Apple but if you’re wanting to save cash you could go through a third party phone repair shop.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I am in Thailand. There's no way to get an appointment for a battery replacement unless the battery is below 80%. I guess I will probably book an appointment for something else and then ask for a battery replacement.

oberlin1

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
My wife’s iPhone XS is now 4 years old. Needless to say the battery has degraded over the years. Currently it is sitting at 80% for the past 6 months. She wants to have the battery replaced but there doesn’t seem to be an official way to do so. The support app says the battery is fine and won’t let me book an appointment with apple care. Starting a manual chat results in the same thing. We are ready to pay for a battery replacement but apple won’t let us. It is frustrating.

Any workaround to this? Alternatively, is there a way to force the battery below 80% so that we can get a replacement?
My X battery was not in the best of shape so I just took it into an Apple store. No questions asked and about an hour later I was good to go. Good luck.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
My X battery was not in the best of shape so I just took it into an Apple store. No questions asked and about an hour later I was good to go. Good luck.
The problem is, because of COVID, walkins are not allowed and it doesn’t let me book an appointment for battery replacement. I will book an appointment for something else.

Reactions: oberlin1

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have an Xs max 4 years old reading 96%. I booked an appointment for phone shutting off (which was the issue) . When I got into the store I just told them to replace the battery…which they did…for a fee. Changing the battery resolved the issue.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have an Xs max 4 years old reading 96%. I booked an appointment for phone shutting off (which was the issue) . When I got into the store I just told them to replace the battery…which they did…for a fee. Changing the battery resolved the issue.
Did you try doing a battery recalibration before you got the battery replaced? Some people have reported that issues with the phone shutting down was resolved by doing a battery recalibration. Just a thought.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did you try doing a battery recalibration before you got the battery replaced? Some people have reported that issues with the phone shutting down was resolved by doing a battery recalibration. Just a thought.
I tried letting the battery drain and then full charge. But the phone shut off around 35% and for the $70 bucks I didn’t want to deal with it. 4 years old I’m okay to replace the battery.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
FBC553A2-E4D5-479A-AF4C-C59AC8FE7E00.jpeg
I booked an appointment for issues with “phone crashing”. During the appointment I asked them to replace the battery. They told me there’s nothing wrong with it and they won’t do it. Next week the battery dropped below 80%. This time I was able to book an appointment for battery replacement and they did it for a fee, no questions asked.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
This is so weird that you are having this issue with battery replacement. I went to return my SE 2022 in store, and made the appointment in the store for a battery replacement of my iPhone 8. Originally, they gave me an appointment for one hour later, but bumped be up to 10 min later. My battery health of iPhone 8 was at 87%, and the guy didn’t say anything other than that the fee for battery replacement was $49. But I don’t notice any improvement in battery life after replacement, though.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Keep in mind the battery is unlikely to last as long as it did when the phone was new. It will provide at most a 25% improvement.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
If it’s showing 80% now, then at 100% you’ll get 25% more. Newer software just makes older processors run harder consuming more power than they did when they ran on old software.
That is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.