Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JokinhaV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2020
I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, mid 2010.

I never changed my battery before on this computer and right now the "Condition" of the battery shows "Replace Now" with 1142 cycles.

Without being plugged to a source of electricity it holds up for 30min +/- so it's time to change it.

I was looking for some compatible batteries on Amazon and I found these two:

I don't know any of these brands but both of them are with a really nice price and have good reviews.

My question is: Do you have any feedback on these brands or know any better options for me to choose?

Burn692

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
The first battery you provided a link to is the brand I just bought off of amazon (RayHom) and put it in my 2012 MBP 15" after my battery said "service immediately." The first strange thing is that Coconut says the battery is actually made by Simplo, and apple used to put those in MBPs for awhile. The other thing was that after EVERY cycle i would lose 3% capacity. So i ordered another one (exactly the same) and when it got here i switched them out, returned the old one to amazon (free shipping) and this one is performing exactly how it should. I have no idea about the other ones, but my advice is this: if you buy the ones off of amazon, be ready to track it with Coconut Battery and possibly return it to Amazon and get another (and repeat the process) until you get a good one. Its hit and miss with the replacement batteries but I eventually got the fix i needed and it cost $38. I get about 5-6 hours of life with the screen around 70% brightness and I'm super happy. Hope this helps someone!

Native Kid from the 505

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
I have the same dilemma currently as well! Same year, mid-2010 MacBook Pro, 13 inches, same problem! After upgrading my RAM from 4 GB to 16 GB, I am also looking for a battery replacement. I recently ordered one from Amazon, a RayHom one as well, but just returned it after I read a few reviews of it exploding or causing other problems. I didn't want to chance it. Also when I had it installed and recharging, it was only two hours in and it only reached 6% charged. I had received the battery completely discharged. Also a few other things that bothered me is that one of the screws wouldn't go in while the other screw had the RayHom battery bolted down. And the battery life indicator light wouldn't turn on to show me its level, only unless it was plugged in. Whereas with the original battery when its completely discharged, it would at least blink repeatedly for a second to let me know it needs to be recharged.
In the case of the RayHom battery, nothing, unless it was plugged in. There were two instances when the plug came off my laptop and the MBP went out as if it were any electronic device that requires to be plugged in to be operational.
So back to my dilemma and my question, are there any other good, reliable sources or vendors from Amazon or ebay that sells good, hopefully legitimate battery replacements for my kind of MBP? Other than iFixit or OWC, I'd like to know of any other sources. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.