Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
Does anyone know if I can "upgrade" my keyboard to the new "Magic Keyboard"?

I have a MacBook Pro 13 " 2018 and would really like to have a "real" keyboard, not that sorry excuse for a keyboard I'm typing on right now.

Maybe replace the whole top-case without having to buy a new MacBook? Or if this will be possible once the next MacBook Pro 13 is released with the Magic Keyboard?

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Unless you can make the case a little thicker to accommodate the scissor switches I’m gonna go with no.

Reactions: Ploki

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Uh, no. Two different case sizes. And I happen to love that sorry excuse for a keyboard.

Yeah I’ve never had the butterfly keyboard and I ordered the new 16” (because I really needed a new MacBook) but I wouldn’t call the butterfly keyboard a “sorry excuse for a keyboard.” Does it have its problems? Yea, as do other keyboards.

I mean you purchased it, so clearly it wasn’t that bad. You’re better off getting an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard if you really can’t stand it.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
Apple doesn't even allow updating the 2016/1027 MacBooks with later versions of the butterfly keyboard during service.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If they could, apple would be doing this for their repair program - that way they fix the issue once and for all.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Yes. Get this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english Throw in an external monitor/ipad pro and trackpad. Then run in clamshell mode. at least at home it will work the way you want. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

Does anyone know if I can "upgrade" my keyboard to the new "Magic Keyboard"?

I have a MacBook Pro 13 " 2018 and would really like to have a "real" keyboard, not that sorry excuse for a keyboard I'm typing on right now.

Maybe replace the whole top-case without having to buy a new MacBook? Or if this will be possible once the next MacBook Pro 13 is released with the Magic Keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.