Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samsonblend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
Hello People!

I really need your help! I buyed a 2012 Mac Book Pro Retina (A1398) and wanted to replace the original 265GB SSD with a bigger one.

Internet gave me the recommendation to buy a 1 TB EVO 850 mSATA V-NAND in combination with the following Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/Informatique-Adapter-Montage-MacBook-Retina/dp/B018KF1CSA

I've screwed both in my macbook and it worked fine for 2 weeks and after that the whole system failed. (I couldn't restart my mac and Disk Utillity couldn't activate the SSD anymore. It says that my system is damaged.)

One guy recommented me the 860 EVO instead of 850 because it's newer and cheaper,also compatible,
and some new Adapter which is maybe not a cheap China one.

An other guy told me not to use any Adapter at all as being constantly installed in my motherboard because it only will be causing trouble.

I don't know what to do anymore. So my question is, what should I buy or not and how the hell I get out of this trouble.

I need this system for every day work (audio production) and i need it to work very reliable and stable.

Thank you very very much!

Helloha

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2013
I just tried this upgrade myself. The adapter is too thick, at least 2-3mm and makes it impossible to screw the backplate back on without bending.

I highly recommend not doing this upgrade because the weight of the whole laptop rests on the SSD when sitting on a flat surface.

I'm shipping all of it back today!

K.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Hello People!

I really need your help! I buyed a 2012 Mac Book Pro Retina (A1398) and wanted to replace the original 265GB SSD with a bigger one.

Internet gave me the recommendation to buy a 1 TB EVO 850 mSATA V-NAND in combination with the following Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/Informatique-Adapter-Montage-MacBook-Retina/dp/B018KF1CSA

I've screwed both in my macbook and it worked fine for 2 weeks and after that the whole system failed. (I couldn't restart my mac and Disk Utillity couldn't activate the SSD anymore. It says that my system is damaged.)

One guy recommented me the 860 EVO instead of 850 because it's newer and cheaper,also compatible,
and some new Adapter which is maybe not a cheap China one.

An other guy told me not to use any Adapter at all as being constantly installed in my motherboard because it only will be causing trouble.

I don't know what to do anymore. So my question is, what should I buy or not and how the hell I get out of this trouble.

I need this system for every day work (audio production) and i need it to work very reliable and stable.

Thank you very very much!

just buy the small kalea adapter, it works fine.

also samsung ssd's are rather power hungry and drain battery.

buy a crucial p1 or an intel ssd. they are cheaper, dont drain the battery as much and your macbook cant use the speed of the samsung anyway.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I need this system for every day work (audio production) and i need it to work very reliable and stable."

My opinion only, but if that was your goal, you should have left the original Apple drive "in place".

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.