Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retro collector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2021
Hi!
The engine controller burned out in the 800k floppy drive in a Macintosh Plus. Is there any other engine controller what I can buy and use to replace the TA7774P?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Hi!
The engine controller burned out in the 800k floppy drive in a Macintosh Plus. Is there any other engine controller what I can buy and use to replace the TA7774P?
Refresh my memory, is that the thru hole 16 pin version or surface mount of the stepper motor driver?

There do appear to be eBay sellers with small quantities of all 3 case styles, (P) (F) & (FAG)

Last edited:

Retro collector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2021
Dip 16, so the drilled hole. I ordered from Aliexpress, but it won't arrive until March. Until then, I would try to buy a replacement in Hungary, but I can't find a replacement: ((

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
There are two sellers on eBay in Germany.

And on a quick search, this blog appears to indicate that buying via eBay from EU is possible (please forgive my ignorance if this is unhelpful).

Retro collector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2021
There are two sellers on eBay in Germany.

And on a quick search, this blog appears to indicate that buying via eBay from EU is possible (please forgive my ignorance if this is unhelpful).

I am looking for a replacement to find one that is still manufactured and available at the electronics store. So I don’t have to wait for something I order, I just go and buy it. I know they sell on ebay too.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I doubt you'll find an equivalent still manufactured today.

For completeness, it appears the Hitachi HA13421A is a direct replacement for the Toshiba TA7774P, but equally no longer manufactured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.