Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
my iPone7; time to replace the battery
the battery health was 76% and it could not meet intermittant spike demand. This would cause a reset.

super fast easy:
I came to this conclusion on a Monday and got a genius bar appointment for Wednesday. Not bad but this apple store was in a mall and way across town.
the process cost $50 and they did it while i wated, took them about and hour and a half.

i am set:
looks like my iphone7 will be supported with updates next couple years. This will allow time for even the discount cell providors to have access to 5G. Sweet, in a couple of years I buy a lightly used craigslist iphone12. My bottom dwelling apple plan will work!

oh my... the mall experience was TRAMATIC:
I have not been in a shopping mall for about a year. Havent been in the one i was visiting in like 5+ years.
the inside was just dripping covid.
The inside was clean and the owners kept up on maintenance but it was just beige on beige with beige lighting over head.
Lots of vendors had 40% off on items i would never buy.

apple needs to update their retail experience
zombie mall from 1999

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
my iPone7; time to replace the battery
the battery health was 76% and it could not meet intermittant spike demand. This would cause a reset.

super fast easy:
I came to this conclusion on a Monday and got a genius bar appointment for Wednesday. Not bad but this apple store was in a mall and way across town.
the process cost $50 and they did it while i wated, took them about and hour and a half.

i am set:
looks like my iphone7 will be supported with updates next couple years. This will allow time for even the discount cell providors to have access to 5G. Sweet, in a couple of years I buy a lightly used craigslist iphone12. My bottom dwelling apple plan will work!

oh my... the mall experience was TRAMATIC:
I have not been in a shopping mall for about a year. Havent been in the one i was visiting in like 5+ years.
the inside was just dripping covid.
The inside was clean and the owners kept up on maintenance but it was just beige on beige with beige lighting over head.
Lots of vendors had 40% off on items i would never buy.

apple needs to update their retail experience
zombie mall from 1999
The Apple Store was like that or the mall itself?

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
This is exactly what I was looking for...how long it takes currently to get a battery replaced. I didn't want to have to be without my iPhone for days getting an official Apple battery.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks everyone for the guidelines. Looks like its gotten quicker with time.

Got it done this week. 9:10 a.m. appointment (opened at 9 a.m.) and probably handed over the iPhone around 9:20 a.m.. The email for pickup showed up at 10:36 a.m. (didn't have another device so didn't see it). I cam back at 10:45 a.m. and had it by 10:52 a.m.

The Apple Store also replaces the speaker as part of the battery replacement. They said it gets destroyed as part of the process. I don't mind a new speaker, but is that what happens with non-Apple battery replacements too?

I also downloaded the battery charging alarm app that alerts you when you get a certain percentage of battery charged if you set the alarm. Seems like the people that dont let battery get too high or low have the longest battery life. No overnight charging it appears as well.

Last edited:

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Seems like the people that dont let battery get too high or low have the longest battery life. No overnight charging it appears as well.

I’ve charged overnight using the 5w charger forever, never had a phone be below 100% after a year and my longer term phones have never gotten under 98% when used for two years. In fact my old SE that a family member uses now is still at 96% charged the same way and that was a launch day model on its original battery!

Just use the phone, and charge it when it needs charging. Smart battery charging also won’t allow any issues to arise from charging overnight anyway.

Reactions: Lsmachado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.