Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I think there’s enough precedent that Apple won’t be held accountable. You buy a car and to still pay for the maintenance. Even if you lease a car. If you have a dead car battery it's not up to the manufacturer or dealership to replace.
Yes it is if the car is still under warranty!!
[doublepost=1515430727][/doublepost]
every device on the planet needs a new battery in 2 years. apple is not magic
You say 2 years but what about the iPhone 7? Been out a little over a year and they’re already throttling it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Typically that is a consumable, but just as Apple does there is a bit of commonsense about it and sometimes it can be warranty...But in principle it is an item that will wear and should be expected to be replaced.

Reactions: Vermifuge

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1515430727][/doublepost]
You say 2 years but what about the iPhone 7? Been out a little over a year and they’re already throttling it.
Things like batteries aren't typically covered by car warranties.

As for iPhone 7, there's a difference between already being throttled and simply being eligible for additional power management measures if the need might arise.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

Typically it is covered for 12 months even under extended warranties. Though, i'm sure you can find a few exceptions up to 3 years if you look hard enough. my point stands. The battery is a consumable even in the automotive world.

You can take my logic and apply it to any wear items including tires, oil, oil filter, and brake components and yes, even the battery.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
What indicator? You mean when the car won’t start...
When you first start the car there is a light in the shape of a battery. It will light up in the case of some problems. Also there's some obvious things that a car does when it has a bad battery, like slow turnover when starting, etc... The main point is they are clearly indicated to you in some way, while the iPhone issue is completely hidden.
[doublepost=1515433685][/doublepost]The battery apologists continue to ignore and misdirect the problem. The problem is not that the battery goes bad, the problem is that APPLE DID NOT COMMUNICATE IT WAS BAD, and instead did things that encouraged people to buy new phones.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
When you first start the car there is a light in the shape of a battery. It will light up in the case of some problems. Also there's some obvious things that a car does when it has a bad battery, like slow turnover when starting, etc... The main point is they are clearly indicated to you in some way, while the iPhone issue is completely hidden.
What you mean completely hidden as in you don’t notice that is is slowing down? That there is no message in the settings app that the battery need replacing? That kind of hidden away?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1515433685][/doublepost]The battery apologists continue to ignore and misdirect the problem. The problem is not that the battery goes bad, the problem is that APPLE DID NOT COMMUNICATE IT WAS BAD, and instead did things that encouraged people to buy new phones.
At the same time plenty of people aren't talking about the communication part of it and are on about something else. Convenient to quickly ignore that just to do some namecalling and deflecting.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

yangfarmer

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
I heard some people intentionly drop their iphones into hot water before 2 years apple care expire and got brand new iphones after that. That way, you get new phone with new battery.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Sorry, the light has nothing to do with the battery. It will light up if the alternator isn’t charging.

yangfarmer

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
The battery apologists continue to ignore and misdirect the problem. The problem is not that the battery goes bad, the problem is that APPLE DID NOT COMMUNICATE IT WAS BAD, and instead did things that encouraged people to buy new phones.
I totally agree on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bazza1

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry, the light has nothing to do with the battery. It will light up if the alternator isn’t charging.
What do you think the alternator charges? THE BATTERY. If there is a problem there then it means the battery is bad, or other possible issues with the charging system. Please do not reply until you know what you're talking about.
[doublepost=1515451500][/doublepost]
At the same time plenty of people aren't talking about the communication part of it and are on about something else. Convenient to quickly ignore that just to do some namecalling and deflecting.
Are you kidding? There was no communication until they were caught red-handed, and only then did they admit it.
[doublepost=1515451662][/doublepost]
What you mean completely hidden as in you don’t notice that is is slowing down? That there is no message in the settings app that the battery need replacing? That kind of hidden away?
Your comment makes no sense. Yes, there is no message in the settings app about the battery needing replacing. And having a phone slow down is not an indicator of a bad battery as no one in the history of smartphones ever expected a bad battery to cause slowdowns, only that it runs out of charge and turns off.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
So you are another one who never read the release notes as that is exactly what it says it does ;)

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What do you think the alternator charges? THE BATTERY. If there is a problem there then it means the battery is bad, or other possible issues with the charging system. Please do not reply until you know what you're talking about.
[doublepost=1515451500][/doublepost]
Are you kidding? There was no communication until they were caught red-handed, and only then did they admit it.
[doublepost=1515451662][/doublepost]
Your comment makes no sense. Yes, there is no message in the settings app about the battery needing replacing. And having a phone slow down is not an indicator of a bad battery as no one in the history of smartphones ever expected a bad battery to cause slowdowns, only that it runs out of charge and turns off.
You make big assumptions. The battery can be bad and that light will not turn on. Maybe you should look at a wiring diagram for a charging system in a car and see if the battery has anything to do with turning that light on. Your comparison of an automotive starting/ charging system and a cellphones battery is a poor one. Having a warning popup for a worn cellphone battery would be a good idea, all I was saying is the warning light on a car has nothing to do if the battery is bad or not. The charging system can be working perfectly but the battery wont hold a charge. That light will not go on in that situation

Last edited:

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
I had my battery replaced yesterday.
My Battery settings had already let me know that it needed servicing before the current brouhaha (though the argument that a device that cost as much as it does then needs a component replaced after a little over 2 years of use is going to be one for the courts or consumer protection laws to debate), and so I went for it.

Am I seeing a marked improvement in how the phone operates? If I was concerned about milliseconds or doing some heavy video editing on it, maybe I would - but frankly, I don't see it.
Meanwhile, leaving settings as they were prior to the swap-out and doing the things I normally do with it, yes, a fresh battery has helped. 8 hours unplugged at this stage and at 48%. I was getting to 20% within 4 hours before - if it wasn't jumping back and forth between 20 - 50%, depending on its mood. Still, not brilliant - but I'll generously blame the bluetooth connection to my Martian watch and on Wi-fi - much everything else (Location Services, for example), turned off / when in use for most apps .

Worth the replacement - at this price, certainly cheaper than a new iPhone (as the lawsuits point out) - the original price made me consider some lower end, but well-reviewed, Androids instead - but only time will tell if this 'does the trick' and lasts as long as I choose to use the device.

No no no. This can’t be. It’s been clearly demonstrated that Apple is evil and is throttling phones with bad (and sometimes good) batteries. We’ve been told on numberous posts how this throttling can cause 5-10 second delays in opening the mail app and make the phone all but unusable.

Now you’re saying that you had a bad battery, we’re clearly being throttled because everyone with bad batteries is, and replacing the battery hasn’t made a marked difference in your phoning experience?!? Cmon.

Could there be another reason for some of these posters bad “throttling” experiences? Hmmmm....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What does that have to do with what I commented on?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well you think that but they clearly are. Manufacturers offer a bumper to bumper warranty for 36 months or 36k miles which ever comes first.
Have you ever read a car warranty. Its apparent you have not. Consumables, such as oil, wiper fluid, windshield wipers, batteries, tires, brake pads and rotors and more are NOT covered by a bumper to bumper warranty. This is very clearly outlined in car warranties. SOME dealerships will include these as perks to buy from them, but this is NOT a warranty from the manufacturer.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Have you ever read a car warranty. Its apparent you have not. Consumables, such as oil, wiper fluid, windshield wipers, batteries, tires, brake pads and rotors and more are NOT covered by a bumper to bumper warranty. This is very clearly outlined in car warranties. SOME dealerships will include these as perks to buy from them, but this is NOT a warranty from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, as a brand new car buyer, would you expect to have to replace the battery after two years of normal use of the vehicle? I wouldn't. Or that the manufacturer of the vehicle, during a scheduled maintenance visit, would limit the functionality of some of the car's features to accommodate a dying battery?

But we digress...
[doublepost=1515506511][/doublepost]
No no no. This can’t be. It’s been clearly demonstrated that Apple is evil and is throttling phones with bad (and sometimes good) batteries. We’ve been told on numberous posts how this throttling can cause 5-10 second delays in opening the mail app and make the phone all but unusable.

Now you’re saying that you had a bad battery, we’re clearly being throttled because everyone with bad batteries is, and replacing the battery hasn’t made a marked difference in your phoning experience?!? Cmon.

Could there be another reason for some of these posters bad “throttling” experiences? Hmmmm....

Well, as most provisos say, "experiences will differ" - how I use may be completely different from how others do (and with different Apple-approved apps), and, as I said in my original post, I don't do heavy-duty work on it (nor am I maxing out the storage memory of the device), so I may simply have not experienced the throttling other users have reported. Not to say others who report such things are stretching the truth.

Apple evil? No - but as this whole debacle has shown, they have been less-than-forthright with the truth - what the capabilities of their OS, hardware and batteries can do, and what they've done to mitigate this. And in doing so, may have caused some users to make a substantial purchase(s), rather than a significantly cheaper repair. In getting caught out - after years of denial - their 'offer' of replacement at a significant discount, acknowledges the problem.

Apple evil? No. But they are not the Little Guy fighting against the Corporate Behemoth anymore, either.
They 'R Them.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On the other hand, as a brand new car buyer, would you expect to have to replace the battery after two years of normal use of the vehicle? I wouldn't. Or that the manufacturer of the vehicle, during a scheduled maintenance visit, would limit the functionality of some of the car's features to accommodate a dying battery?
On the other hand while people might not expect things like that, do they still happen? Sure. And out of millions of cars out there can there still be some thousands where unexpected things of that nature happen all the time? Sure.

As for limiting something and so forth, realistically there are plenty of times when as part of maintenance some manufacturer/dealer required or suggested update to the ECU or something similar happens where it can affect something like the MPG or some other performance related metric. It's not to say that this is something that's out there all the time or anything like that, but that if we are going down the path of car analogies then there are plenty things there to nitpick one way or another (as usual pretty much).

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
I have a 6 and I tempted to replace my battery as well, but i wonder if a restore would help performance...
Yes, it usually does and if you do not have the battery warning it should be the first step anyway. Do not restore from backup, set up as new and download all of you apps again. Many people I’ve helped with iPhone slowdown issues this resolves. Also give it 3 days after you do this to work itself out. You can always at that point replace the battery.
[doublepost=1515510784][/doublepost]
Things like batteries aren't typically covered by car warranties.

As for iPhone 7, there's a difference between already being throttled and simply being eligible for additional power management measures if the need might arise.

Ive never had a car under wa
yea car batteries aren't covered by the warranty

In Southern Florida we have extreme heat and humidity which is hard on car batteries. Both a Jeep and a BMW I own had battery replacements under normal warranty after 2 years for the Jeep and 3 years for the BMW. BMW’s have a variable current alternator that pushes more power to a degrading battery assisted by the vehicle computer to compensate. They require a computer reset and registration of the new battery when replaced for that reason.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

But we digress...

You should really research before you post, seriously. Did you know in places with extreme summers you need to replaced your car battery every 12-18 months? I bet you didn't. I live in SoCal and because our summers are so brutal, a car battery may not last more than 24 months. On average for the last 12 years, I have to replace my battery every 20 months, including batteries that came with brand new cars.

Those that live in Arizona usually have to replace yearly, depending on their driving habits.

Reactions: macTW

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I stopped reading here.

All batteries have a life cycle. All. Has nothing to do with Android vs iPhone. Mac vs PC. iPhones are rated for 80% after 500 cycles. That’s their lifespawn. Samsung phones are the same. Macs and iPads are rated for 1000 cycles because they have larger batteries.

This will never change. No lawsuit can change the chemical process of batteries. They wear out. End of story.

But does a company have a responsibility to their customers to tell them they are making changes to the way their phone performs?

I would assume most people do not understand lithium battery technology, how the lifespan of the battery is limited, and the conditions which could lead to battery failure. I say it is up to the manufacturer to educate their customers. Tell them that as time goes on battery life diminishes, and what changes they are going to make to the way your phone performs in order to prolong the useful life of your phone and battery. Oh ya, or you could just replace the battery and continue using the phone as is.
[doublepost=1515511523][/doublepost]
You should really research before you post, seriously. Did you know in places with extreme summers you need to replaced your car battery every 12-18 months? I bet you didn't. I live in SoCal and because our summers are so brutal, a car battery may not last more than 24 months. On average for the last 12 years, I have to replace my battery every 20 months, including batteries that came with brand new cars.

Those that live in Arizona usually have to replace yearly, depending on their driving habits.

I wouldn't call the summers in Ventura county extreme.... :) But I agree with you about Arizona. I was replacing my car battery just about every 18 to 24 months. I started using Optima batteries, and get a little more life out of them, so to me technology and the quality of the battery used has some bearing on lifespan.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
But does a company have a responsibility to their customers to tell them they are making changes to the way their phone performs?

I would assume most people do not understand lithium battery technology, how the lifespan of the battery is limited, and the conditions which could lead to battery failure. I say it is up to the manufacturer to educate their customers. Tell them that as time goes on battery life diminishes, and what changes they are going to make to the way your phone performs in order to prolong the useful life of your phone and battery. Oh ya, or you could just replace the battery and continue using the phone as is.
[doublepost=1515511523][/doublepost]

I wouldn't call the summers in Ventura county extreme.... :) But I agree with you about Arizona. I was replacing my car battery just about every 18 to 24 months. I started using Optima batteries, and get a little more life out of them, so to me technology and the quality of the battery used has some bearing on lifespan.

Apple does educate their customers though. Apple has an entire website dedicated to teaching consumers about their batteries. But it's taking responsibility to actually seeking out that knowledge and then following it. People rather just complain and blame others.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/

I am in no way condoning Apple's behavior by hiding this from us, they are at fault for that. But they are not at fault for someone's battery degrading after 2 years.

As to where I live, I'm in the foothills of the Santa Monica mountains. Every summer on regular basis we get 2-3 weeks of 110F+ weather. If thats not extreme, what is? This past summer we reached 116 for 3 days in a row. Heck, even Malibu this summer reached 110+ for 4-5 days in a row.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.