Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Battery health on my iPhone X had degraded to 74% so I did some research on the internet to find out how to replace the battery myself. I decided to go with iFixit. Their new battery is rated at 2974mAh (same as original). Made by Desay Corporation (same as the original) on Aug 30, 2021 (Coconut Battery App). Purchase price was $44 which included all tools, battery and water seal/adhesive. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the difficulty at a "7". You need to keep track of where the removed screws came from, as there are different sizes and types. I had to remove the taptic engine in order to get the adhesives holding down the old battery out. Some folks keep the taptic engine in when removing the battery adhesives, but it is much easier with it out. Patience, taking it slow and being organized is your friend. iFixit has a video, but I used the video by "iDoc" on Youtube as it included the removal of the taptic engine. Very thorough video, highly recommended:
The tools provided in the iFixit kit were very good, and the battery is working fine showing zero charge cycles and 100% capacity. So far, so good!

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Very cool.. Is the health data available in the battery section? Also, do you get the "battery not original" notification in settings? I paid $69 at Apple and they also replaced the earpiece speaker as part of the battery replacement procedure

I think only XS/XR and newer complain about "non-genuine" batteries. Having battery capacity data is a sign of a good/compatible battery though.

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I live in an area that is remote to any Apple store. 1 hour driving each direction, minimum and 9-10 business day wait for repairs. We have a Best Buy store locally which is authorized, but I'm not wild about giving my phone over to Geek Squad. The Best Buy/Geek Squad internet reviews are dubious at best. I've replaced batteries in a 4S, 5S and 6S iPhone. I am retired IT, so I have the technical ability/experience to do some repair work. If I didn't have the tools or confidence, plus more importantly, clear directions, I would not attempt it. Patience, going slow, attention to details, being organized and above all else, being gentle with the parts is paramount. If you have the technical expertise to do it, great. If not, have Apple or an authorized repair facility handle it. I do the repair work because I enjoy it. I like the challenge. I don't do it to save $$.

Last edited:

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I live in an area that is remote to any Apple store. 1 hour driving each direction, minimum and 9-10 business day wait for repairs. We have a Best Buy store locally which is authorized, but I'm not wild about giving my phone over to Geek Squad. The Best Buy/Geek Squad internet reviews are dubious at best. I've replaced batteries in a 4S, 5S and 6S iPhone. I am retired IT, so I have the technical ability/experience to do some repair work.
Another retired IT guy here in a county of 500k but almost 200 miles from an Apple store. When I take all the screws and parts out, I use iFixit’s guide with numbered steps, and place the parts and screws in muffin tins with each “bin” labeled with a step number. Won’t mix screws that way.

Reactions: Hombre53

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Another retired IT guy here in a county of 500k but almost 200 miles from an Apple store. When I take all the screws and parts out, I use iFixit’s guide with numbered steps, and place the parts and screws in muffin tins with each “bin” labeled with a step number. Won’t mix screws that way.
I have a large white magnetic pad that I keep the removed screws and parts on so that they are organized, won't move around and stay in place. I can put the parts back together based on how they are organized on the magnetic pad. Less prone to put a screw into the wrong place, etc. Your muffin tins is a great idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.