Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
I recently replaced the 20GB hard drive in an iPod 4G clickwheel with an IDE to CF adapter, CF to SD card adapter, and a 128GB SDXC card. I also decided to replace the original battery because, why not?, it's 15 years old. But I'm now wondering if the battery replacement was necessary. On the OEM battery, I was getting 12 hours of playback time with the SD card. Can I expect much more than that?

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Replacing a 15 year old battery is always a smart idea. Don't worry about it, it was a good decision.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
On the first test, the 15-year-old battery is actually delivering longer playing times. However, I fully drained and am charging the Chinese replacement to see if running it through a full charge cycle makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll swap the OEM battery back in, assuming I didn't damage it too much when I removed it!

piblondin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Replacing a 15 year old battery is always a smart idea. Don't worry about it, it was a good decision.
And, indeed, I ended up swapping the 15-year-old battery back in. :-/ Any idea where I could get a better replacement than what's on eBay and Amazon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.