Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
That must seem nuts, I’m sure. But I figured I’d share my experience and reasoning just in case it’s valuable for anyone else.

The 12.9” - a 2018 one, btw - ended up being too big for me in handheld use.

An 11” Pro or the Air might seem like the more logical choice then. But I already have an Air 5 and I use it for entirely different things than the Pro was meant for. Another Pro was not an option because I realized there are very few features that I actually miss on any of the non-Pro iPads.

Come to think about it, it’s just Face ID I really miss. I don’t care about Pro Motion - it looks nice, of course, but it doesn’t provide any benefit for me in my workflows. The cameras/lidar I don’t care about, either, because I don’t use them. Speakers aren’t a factor because I mostly use headphones anyway. So the price difference would be for a lot of stuff I don’t want or need.

As for the concessions you have to make with the base iPad - they don’t really bother me, either. Sure, a laminated display is nicer than non-laminated, but I can work on a non-laminated one just fine. (Taps and writing on it sound weird, though. That’s my main gripe.)
Charging and pairing the Pencil via USB-C cable is not particularly elegant, but it’s fine.
The Magic Keyboard Folio is not as nice as the Magic Keyboard for the Pro and Air but it, too, is fine. In fact, I quite like that I can detach it and still have the other part protecting the back of the iPad and functioning as a stand. And of course, there are function keys on the Folio.

Performance-wise - maybe I simply don’t do anything particularly demanding*, but I can hardly ever tell a difference between the iPad 10 and the Air 5. These aren’t scientific findings, mind you, and more comparisons in every day use. Performance does seem better than on the 2018 Pro - but it’s a much newer chip, so I’m not really surprised.

And so far, I love this iPad. I’ve even been using it for work (mainly note-taking and image editing) and made myself use it as a laptop replacement. The latter doesn’t quite work, but in my experience, that’s the same with the Pros.

tldr: Don’t knock the iPad 10, it’s a surprisingly capable device.

———
*I use an iPad for notes, writing, reading (ebooks), browsing, some music recording, some image editing, as an additional screen and every once in a while, I’ll play a game on it.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I can hardly ever tell a difference between the iPad 10 and the Air 5
That's not too surprising, the iPad 10 has the same type of CPU cores as the iPad Air 5. It has 2 fewer performance cores, but that won't make much of a difference. For how you use it single core performance is king and that is identical between the A14 and M1. As long as everything fits in the only 4GB RAM of the iPad 10.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I'm running a M1 2TB 5G 11" pro and to be honest, a regular iPad would prob be enough for me when I asses what I am using the iPad for.
But, there are some things I would miss If I did change.

* Stage manager and being able to dock the iPad to any random USB-C dock with external screens.
* Face ID

Its annoying that these things are exclusive to the pro line. Hope this changes for next upcoming lineup that's being released soon.

Reactions: Devyn89

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
It's funny that you've posted about this, as I bought a 10th gen iPad for my partner recently and I'm really impressed by it. I have a 2021 12.9 inch iPad Pro and it's a lovely device but I want something smaller and less cumbersome.

So, I thought I'd get a new 11 inch Pro when they're eventually released. However, that new OLED screen is going to cost a lot, I'd imagine. In the UK I can find a 10th gen iPad for £349 compared to, what, £999 for the new iPad Pro?

It does make me wonder whether I need to spend all that extra money when the main benefit will be the better screen. ProMotion is great, and OLED will look better, but still...

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's funny that you've posted about this, as I bought a 10th gen iPad for my partner recently and I'm really impressed by it. I have a 2021 12.9 inch iPad Pro and it's a lovely device but I want something smaller and less cumbersome.

So, I thought I'd get a new 11 inch Pro when they're eventually released. However, that new OLED screen is going to cost a lot, I'd imagine. In the UK I can find a 10th gen iPad for £349 compared to, what, £999 for the new iPad Pro?

It does make me wonder whether I need to spend all that extra money when the main benefit will be the better screen. ProMotion is great, and OLED will look better, but still...
there is storage and speakers too, and this is true even for older and cheaper pros

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
A regular iPad or Air would be enough for me too, but I need hella-storage and 256GB isn't enough, leaving only the Pro. Plus, I do like FaceTime.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Pretty much any iPad or iPhone from the past 4-5 years can do the same thing unless you need power user features like stage manager, USB-C, FaceID.

However sometimes the Pro versions makes more financial sense as upgraded storage on the base models is a con. The Pros also pack so much power that they won't feel slow 5 years down the line.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Pretty much any iPad or iPhone from the past 4-5 years can do the same thing unless you need power user features like stage manager, USB-C, FaceID.

However sometimes the Pro versions makes more financial sense as upgraded storage on the base models is a con. The Pros also pack so much power that they won't feel slow 5 years down the line.

It really depends on what you do with them, I think. I recently played around with my partner's 7th gen iPad which is now 5 years old. For the most part, it was still doing surprisingly fine.

With more demanding stuff like games and photo editing, I could tell it was slower than any of mine. Or with a lot of tabs open, it would reload more. But with less than half the memory of the Air 5 and a much older/slower chip, it really should feel slower.

Overall, though... absolutely fine.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.