Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muffinsat4am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Bought this ipad air 4 for very cheap. Initially, all it had was a cracked screen. Touch functions, speakers, etc all worked fine. I've done a few screen replacements before, mostly on generations that still had the home button. I followed this guide:

Screen came off as easily as the video shows. The screen I ordered was from ebay as the lcd/digitizer already together. The problem I'm seeing is that when pressing the top button, the backlight will come on, but no image on screen. Tapping on the center renders a sound ( I believe it's entering pin code numbers). It's a little hard to tell in the photo, but one shows the ipad off and the other after the top button is pressed and the backlight comes on

What I've tried: I've tried reseating the connectors several times to no avail. Cleaned with alcohol. Doing a DFU. It shows up on itunes and initially prompted me to restore, which I did, but same effect.

Is this possibly a bad screen or did I mess up somewhere? The video shows the person removing the screw from the battery connector, but no clip is taken off. Did I screw up by not removing the battery clip? Are things I can check to confirm or should I return the screen?

1.JPG
IMG_1365.JPEG
IMG_1366.JPEG

• Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.