Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This is an iPhone 8 bought in early 2019, the original battery lasted 3 years, and I replaced it at 83% IIRC, in the last days of January.

Now, 3 months after the replacement of the battery, it’s already at 97%. I suspect this battery isn’t new, it probably is recycled or from a cheaper provider. In my experience, replacement parts aren’t always from the same provider, or follow the same quality controls as the parts used for brand new devices. It happened to me with a screen replacement and a battery replacement of a MacBook Pro in the past.

I remember that the original battery didn’t hit 97% until it had almost a year. And now, after 3 months of light use (because I’m using/testing another iPhone, and I use this one much less), it has reached 97%.

I mean, the battery in this model is just 50€, is not a huge expense to replace it every year, or every 18 months. But I feel a bit deceived for paying for a 100% new battery and receiving one that degrades so quickly instead.

I’m making this thread to share my experience, and for you to express if you think this is normal or not. I won’t reply rude or inappropriate messages from blind Apple fans insulting me, and I won’t doubt to report them. Feel free to share your thoughts, but always in a respectful and kind way.

Last edited:

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
my 12 Pro Max bought in February 2021 had 100% BH until December 2021. Then now it has 94% BH...im not really sure if BH is accurate or not.

and for the past 2 weeks i have been playing games on my 12 Pro Max while charging.but BH is still 94%. i wouldnt count on BH in settings if i were you.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Two things:
  1. Where did you get your battery serviced?
  2. Battery life depends on how many cycles and usage type you are hitting it with
1. At Apples Genius Bar, like I always do. When I replaced my old MBP battery, I experienced the same, and I replaced it at the Genius Bar as well. I experienced in one year the degradation that I experienced during the first two-three years with my Mac. Actually, I went to the Apple Store after a month because I was having a degradation that I didn’t find normal. This time, I suspect I’m having the same experience with the battery.

2. My usage is pretty regular, as I think it is with most smartphone users. But not only that, as I explain in my original post, due to being playing with my new iPhone 13 mini, I really haven’t used my iPhone 8 that much in the last 2 weeks. I haven’t used my iPhone 8 so intensively in order to get this degradation, especially during this past 3 months, with not high nor extremely cold temperatures. I don’t think being at 97% after 3 months, if BH indicator is accurate, is normal, and definitely it is not comparable with the degradation I had with the original battery, within the same cycles (assuming 1 cycle per day).

I wanted to say that I’m not going to say anything on the Apple Store, even if this gets worse and I hit 93% of BH by August -which is expectable at this degradation pace-, because I suspected this could indeed happen, and at the Genius Bar they are going to say what they always say: that this is normal and the battery is healthy, and they are going to try to blame whatever they might find installed to excuse it (like when they blamed the caffeine app on my old MacBook Pro, and I wasn’t talking about hours of autonomy but about mAh max capacity)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhone 6s+, original battery from September 2015 to November 2021. Replaced at Apple store around 76% health.

Six months later, battery still reporting 100% health.

Reactions: Boyyai and Populus

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1. At Apples Genius Bar, like I always do. When I replaced my old MBP battery, I experienced the same, and I replaced it at the Genius Bar as well. I experienced in one year the degradation that I experienced during the first two-three years with my Mac. Actually, I went to the Apple Store after a month because I was having a degradation that I didn’t find normal. This time, I suspect I’m having the same experience with the battery.

2. My usage is pretty regular, as I think it is with most smartphone users. But not only that, as I explain in my original post, due to being playing with my new iPhone 13 mini, I really haven’t used my iPhone 8 that much in the last 2 weeks. I haven’t used my iPhone 8 so intensively in order to get this degradation, especially during this past 3 months, with not high nor extremely cold temperatures. I don’t think being at 97% after 3 months, if BH indicator is accurate, is normal, and definitely it is not comparable with the degradation I had with the original battery, within the same cycles (assuming 1 cycle per day).

I wanted to say that I’m not going to say anything on the Apple Store, even if this gets worse and I hit 93% of BH by August -which is expectable at this degradation pace-, because I suspected this could indeed happen, and at the Genius Bar they are going to say what they always say: that this is normal and the battery is healthy, and they are going to try to blame whatever they might find installed to excuse it (like when they blamed the caffeine app, and I wasn’t talking about hours of autonomy but about mAh max capacity)
Ok, better understanding now. Well, as to why is dropped, remember that battery health is an approximate measurement. Just like when you see battery health at 103%. Most likely, your battery is at top health.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Ok, better understanding now. Well, as to why is dropped, remember that battery health is an approximate measurement. Just like when you see battery health at 103%. Most likely, your battery is at top health.
As far as I know, iOS battery Health never reports more than 100% of BH. However, when you look it up on Coconut Battey, you usually get more than 100% because the battery on the new devices usually comes with more mAh than the maximum battery capacity design. But I haven’t checked this battery-replaced iPhone 8 on Coconut yet, and I’m not sure I will do it soon.

Honestly, seven years ago I got pretty mad with this battery stuff, but at this point I’ve learned to just use it and replace when it’s aged enough (which will be pretty son at this rate). But I wanted to share my experience with the forum.

Also, it’s not the same replacing a MacBook battery (200-300€) than an iPhone battery (50-70€).

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I have a 2020 SE. Replaced the battery in October and have lost approx. 1% BH a month, which checks out with your experience. I think the old iPhone 8 style body/battery size struggles with the demands of the most recent iOS updates. But that’s just my un-informed opinion.

Honestly, I wouldn’t fret too much. Phones are temporary and as long as it matches your usage, there’s not much to be done, except look forward to your next iPhone with hopefully better battery 🔋 longevity!

Reactions: Boyyai and Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My launch iPhone 13 Pro Max still at 99% life...
Yeah, actually, I wasn’t talking about the battery health of new iPhones, but rather about how replacement batteries, in many cases, have a faster degradation.

I have a 2020 SE. Replaced the battery in October and have lost approx. 1% BH a month, which checks out with your experience. I think the old iPhone 8 style body/battery size struggles with the demands of the most recent iOS updates. But that’s just my un-informed opinion.

Honestly, I wouldn’t fret too much. Phones are temporary and as long as it matches your usage, there’s not much to be done, except look forward to your next iPhone with hopefully better battery ? longevity!
Yeah, definitely the best to do with this type of things is to not think too much about it and just use it until the next battery replacement. There’s nothing we can do, unless some people decide to sue Apple with a class action lawsuit about replacement parts being of lower quality than original parts.

Reactions: Jxdawg

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I would not be surprised to learn that Apple isn’t immune to having to source whatever parts/materials they can get their hands on… and things like batteries are inferior to what they typically get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.