Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi all

I have been using Etymotic ER4P for many years on a couple of different portable music devices and most recently with a 4th Gen iPod Touch. I use them with a Griffin SmartTalk for remote control of music and for a better mic pickup with Facetime. This combo worked well but did produce a very unwieldy cable length though, and doesn't do remote volume control.

The Etymotics have a great sound but they seem to be fragile in my hands as this is the second pair on which the plastic speaker tube underneath the earbud has split on the left hand side. Although the Etymotics are comfortable in normal use, I recently tried them underneath a skiing helmet and they became painful quite quickly. I put this down to the long tube which sits in the ear and the bulk of the section protruding out of the ear.

The Klipsch S4i would be about the right budget, comes with built-in volume control, mic and iPod control and looks to have a low bulk for wearing under a lid. If anyone can recommend similar spec noise isolating earphone it would be greatly appreciated,

MTIA

Cheers

Bill

Tikker

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
I bought some Zagg smartbuds before christmas and I've been really pleased with them

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.