Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
hi all, i have recently had to send a Seagate 2.5" 100GB 5400 RPM HDD back for a replacement as it totally stopped working. I have it set up in an external enclosure. The problem is this new HDD is so much slower when backing up my personal files and music etc, my ipod is faster! an example is to backup my documents folder to my ipod it takes about 3-4 minutes at the most but with this new HDD it says it will take 30-40 mins! i had no problems like this with the old HDD. This new HDD also seems quieter so i was thinking could there be a quiet mode activated that i could switch to performance?

any other suggestions?

thanx in advance,
Mike

Diskdoctor

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
is your new drive IDE or SATA?
if it is SATA did you remove the jumper from the back?
if not do so this will fix it

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Thank you for your quick reply,
Sorry for the lack of information about the actual HDD, it is an IDE and i have checked, there is no jumper on it at all.
Also i doubt it will help but i use it with my MacBook and have tested it with relatives windows PC's and i have the same problem.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
If this is formatted the same way as the old one, and is slow on different computers, then it is most likely that the replacement is dud as well.

David

Diskdoctor

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
if Its a IDE Drive I think it need to have a jumper on it to configer the drive to master, slave, or cs.

look at the drive there should be a picture of the jumper on it and set the drive to master...it dosn't matter if you set it to master ,slave or cs if its a external drive but set it to one...

I may be talking out of school here but i think this is right

oh one more thing i had i this problem about a year ago. is you external bay USB?
if so you may of spiked the chip ste in the bay i did and my drive ran slow too..
in that case you need a new bay...
also check you have not pluged it in to a USB Hub witch is USB 1

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I have tried the jumper in all positions stated on the pictures on the HDD and the only time my MacBook recognises it is when it is set to master (no jumper). I have also now noticed that when i started transfering my data it started off at the expected speed but slowed down gradually until the time got to 40 minutes again. It is plugged in directly to my MacBook's USB2 port in a Trust USB2 HDD case

thank you again everyone for your fast and helpful posts :)

Mike

Diskdoctor

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
just one more thing are you using the drive in mac or windows on a mac ie parallels or boot camp?

because parallels only supports USB 1

Sorry i can be of no more help i am out of ideas good luck with it..

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I am using it in OS X, thank you very much for your help anyway, ill keep working on it myself. i may try zeroing the drive in disc utility etc, anything that could possibly help. As long as i can still back up all my pictures and documents etc on my iPod and 6th form work on my memory stick there is no big rush yet, its just annoying.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.