Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I have a 10.5 iPad Pro (2017) 64gb. The battery life is now terrible. It drains so fast and I pretty much have to keep it plugged in all the time. Storage has become an issue too as its almost always full. I’ve also noticed a couple bright spots on the display. I am thinking it might be time for an upgrade but I am having trouble deciding. Should I go for the new iPad Air 5 or a 11” iPad Pro? I am also considering a refurb 2020 iPad Pro A12Z for a little less. I don’t really do anything super intense. Mainly use it to consume YouTube, Netflix, Browse the internet and shop. I do like the 120htz pro-motion, so I am concerned I would miss it if I went with the Air. Anyone switch from an iPad Pro to an Air? Did you miss pro motion or do you get used to it after awhile? Thanks for any advice!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I swap between ProMotion and non-ProMotion devices regularly so I haven't gotten spoiled yet.

Given storage is an issue, if 128GB is sufficient, I'd just opt for either 2020 or 2021 Pro 11.

Reactions: Digitalguy

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I just bought the 11” refurbished one you mentioned at 128GB. $609, so same price as the new Air and $200 less than the current 11”. Seemed like the sweet spot.

I’m currently using the 8th gen base model, so I’m getting quite an upgrade.

Good luck on your choice.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Personally I’d go for the Pro. I know it sounds silly, and admittedly you probably wouldn’t really notice without both side by side, but the extra .1” screen makes a difference, plus it’s brighter and has ProMotion. Face ID is on the iPad Pro as well and I think at the 11” size Face ID is basically perfect, especially if you plan to use the magic keyboard because then you can press the space bar and BOOM you’re at the Home Screen lol.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
11” pro because for me 64gb is too little, so I’d got for a 128 gb pro for $50 more than a 256 gb air. YMMV if you have different storage needs, but 128 works for me whereas 64 does not.

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Go for the pro, either a refurb 2020 or a new 2021. It’s worth it just for Face ID IMO.

Alpha-Sphere

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Nobody knows when the next iPad Pro 11" is going to be released but the current one is starting to get to the end of it's product cycle.

I'm torn between the Air5 with 256GB and the Pro 11" with 256GB. In my neck of the woods, the price difference is €140,- and I think the extra's of the pro is worth the €140,- premium. However, when taking into account that it's at the end of the product cycle it's a different matter. Because I could be getting a better iPad 11" in a few months. So the difference in price will get me even more when the new one comes out versus the current Pro 11".

If I really need an iPad right now I would only buy the Pro 11" IF I could get a better deal.
- Special sale
- Bundle deal with a Pencil 2
- Refurbished
- Warehouse deal

Just checked and here in IT i can find an amazon warehouse deal on the Pro 11" 256GB for only €23,- more then a new iPad Air. I'm seriously considering this now. At this price point it's not at all painful when the next Pro 11" comes out. It'll probably be more expensive anyways if they fork a mini LED display in there. The 12.9" went up in price from the 4th to 5th gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porterhouse

Alpha-Sphere

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Just remember that Applecare+ cost more on the PRO.
Yes, indeed! Very good point!

Also, when shopping on Amazon, check the different config prices. With and without cellular.
I was looking at a warehouse deal Pro 11" 256 for €891 which is pretty amazing vs a new Air5 of €869. BUT!!!
I just discovered that Amazon IT is selling the silver Pro 11" 256 with cellular for €925!! For only €56,- more then an Air5 I get a pro with cellular! I'm about to order.

So to the Topic starter I would say look around for a good deal! :)

iRondi

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I just posted that I upgraded my 10.5 iPad Pro - with the 11" Gen 3 version. For me, I was comparing 256 GB of Air 5 vs Pro and those smallish little things were worth the higher $150 difference for me. I know I see the $200 difference, but that is comparing 64 GB with 128 GB. But if going with equal GB, it's $150 difference. I wanted nicer camera, 4 speakers, Face ID, 120 Hz.

I don't think there is one right answer here. I am sure I would be just fine without those little extra features, but I also know me, my brain. I have waited 6-12 months for this purchase. I have the budget for it. I want the best I can get. Maybe in 6 months time when they have the newer iPad Pro, I will be a bit sad. I'm interested in mini LED but not sure that it will be included, not sure that I want to pay more, and don't often really need that.

But I do love the fun colors on the Air 5 and I think it looks to be a great tablet. It made my decision a little difficult.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Not really sure what would be expected from the new iPad Pro 2022. Current product line have been too powerful for basic usage.

ufgatorvet

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
11” pro because for me 64gb is too little, so I’d got for a 128 gb pro for $50 more than a 256 gb air. YMMV if you have different storage needs, but 128 works for me whereas 64 does not.
Not meaning to be nosey, but what types of things are you storing that requires that much storage? I have barely scratched the surface of the storage in my 1.5 year old 64 GB Air 4.
Just curious.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'm also in a similar debate. I feel like the iPad Air only makes sense to me at the 64gb storage level. If I wanted more storage, I'd just pay $50 more and get the iPad Pro 11". But then the Pro is

So I think the decision for me is 64gb iPad Air for $599 or wait for the Pro refresh and get the 2022 entry level 11" Pro at (hopefully) $799. Leaning towards the Air now for a couple reasons:

1. If the 11" Pro gets mini-led, I think that might mean a $100 price increase to $899 like the 12.9" got last year.
2. 64gb is fine for my needs. I've been living with a 32gb iPad for the last 5+ years without issue.
3. I don't really want to wait till the fall most likely for the Pro refresh.
4. The Air now does nearly everything the Pro does for $200 less. Even has pencil and magic keyboard support.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm also in a similar debate. I feel like the iPad Air only makes sense to me at the 64gb storage level. If I wanted more storage, I'd just pay $50 more and get the iPad Pro 11". But then the Pro is

So I think the decision for me is 64gb iPad Air for $599 or wait for the Pro refresh and get the 2022 entry level 11" Pro at (hopefully) $799. Leaning towards the Air now for a couple reasons:

1. If the 11" Pro gets mini-led, I think that might mean a $100 price increase to $899 like the 12.9" got last year.
2. 64gb is fine for my needs. I've been living with a 32gb iPad for the last 5+ years without issue.
3. I don't really want to wait till the fall most likely for the Pro refresh.
4. The Air now does nearly everything the Pro does for $200 less. Even has pencil and magic keyboard support.

Well, the Air 5 can also make sense if one wants 256GB storage ($150-$200 difference between Air 5 and Pro 11).

Mind, if one plans on using Magic Keyboard (or other keyboard+trackpad/mouse combo) biometric authentication via FaceID is sooooo much more convenient compared to TouchID.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Well, the Air 5 can also make sense if one wants 256GB storage ($150-$200 difference between Air 5 and Pro 11).

Mind, if one plans on using Magic Keyboard (or other keyboard+trackpad/mouse combo) biometric authentication via FaceID is sooooo much more convenient compared to TouchID.
That's true if 256gb is a requirement. For me 128gb would be more than enough, and 64gb is probably fine considering I have Apple Music, a bunch of iCloud storage, and phone that can support all my offline needs. Can definitely see how creators or professionals may need more than 128gb though.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I upgraded from the 10.5” Pro to an 11” Pro just the other day. I also was having poor battery life and hot spots in the screen, as well as performance issues occasionally. The biggest reason for me sticking with the Pro was the screen. If I’m going to spend $600+ for a new iPad (especially once you include accessories), I want it to actually be an upgrade. The speakers and screen on the 10.5” were great and downgrading to the Air just made zero sense to me.
Nobody knows when the next iPad Pro 11" is going to be released but the current one is starting to get to the end of it's product cycle.
It depends on your perspective I guess. It’ll be another 6-8 months before the Pro is updated. If your current iPad is on its last legs then waiting that long might not be an option

Not meaning to be nosey, but what types of things are you storing that requires that much storage? I have barely scratched the surface of the storage in my 1.5 year old 64 GB Air 4.
Just curious.
The whole benefit of extra storage for me are those times when you don’t have internet access. I have the WiFi only model, so I can’t depend on being able to stream something whenever I want. Even if I did, I want to have space for media when traveling. I don’t plan on being able to stream while on an airplane. So I load my 256GB Pro to the gills before leaving on any trip. Before the pandemic my wife and I went on a couple of cruises, and it was nice having content loaded up and ready to go.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The whole benefit of extra storage for me are those times when you don’t have internet access. I have the WiFi only model, so I can’t depend on being able to stream something whenever I want. Even if I did, I want to have space for media when traveling. I don’t plan on being able to stream while on an airplane. So I load my 256GB Pro to the gills before leaving on any trip. Before the pandemic my wife and I went on a couple of cruises, and it was nice having content loaded up and ready to go.

Even with cellular, you can’t always depend on good internet. Often trying to stream videos (as passenger) while driving on California freeways is like watching stop motion.

On 16-hour trans-Pacific flights, I also load up the iPad with media as well as carry a Kindle Paperwhite for when the iPad’s battery depletes.

Reactions: VaruLV

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I’ve just bought the Air 5 and hubby was going to get my Air 3, it he likes mine so much we looked at getting him one, then he saw the Pro 11 with the extra camera system, the LiDAR Scanner, pro motion and the extra speakers and we are getting that. We’ll swap between them as we need too. We are getting the 256gb with both. I have over 90gb of colouring classes (videos) loaded on mine.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I have a 10.5 iPad Pro (2017) 64gb. The battery life is now terrible. It drains so fast and I pretty much have to keep it plugged in all the time. Storage has become an issue too as its almost always full. I’ve also noticed a couple bright spots on the display. I am thinking it might be time for an upgrade but I am having trouble deciding. Should I go for the new iPad Air 5 or a 11” iPad Pro? I am also considering a refurb 2020 iPad Pro A12Z for a little less. I don’t really do anything super intense. Mainly use it to consume YouTube, Netflix, Browse the internet and shop. I do like the 120htz pro-motion, so I am concerned I would miss it if I went with the Air. Anyone switch from an iPad Pro to an Air? Did you miss pro motion or do you get used to it after awhile? Thanks for any advice!

I'd say get the Pro, 120HZ screen, Thunderbolt Port, face Time, better camera, worth the extra cost IMO.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I’ve just bought the Air 5 and hubby was going to get my Air 3, it he likes mine so much we looked at getting him one, then he saw the Pro 11 with the extra camera system, the LiDAR Scanner, pro motion and the extra speakers and we are getting that. We’ll swap between them as we need too. We are getting the 256gb with both. I have over 90gb of colouring classes (videos) loaded on mine.
Do you find that your Air 3 has better battery life than your new Air 5? That’s what I found between my Air 3 and Air 4 Ipads.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
There are some rumors about a Pro Mode in iPad OS 16 that will require a M1 chip. You may want to consider getting the 2021 M1 Pro, we’ll see in a few weeks if it’s true.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There are some rumors about a Pro Mode in iPad OS 16 that will require a M1 chip. You may want to consider getting the 2021 M1 Pro, we’ll see in a few weeks if it’s true.

I wouldn’t buy the 2021 M1 Pro based on the patent filing that recently surfaced. Who knows if that would require a new iPad design altogether.

In fact, requiring a new hardware design/accessory connections for window-mode is a good way to get users with 2-4 year old 2018-2020 iPad Pros to upgrade. Heck, maybe they’ll sway some 2021 iPad Pro users as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.