Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gastypm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
(If this has already been discussed or is being posted in the wrong category please let me know)

As you may have guessed I have a 27" iMac from mid-2011 which is in great condition but the hardware is getting old. I would like to replace all the hardware inside and put an M1 Mac mini inside. Now, I've seen YouTuber Luke Miani doing this but not as polished as I would like to. I'd love to keep the ports where they are, use the same power supply to power the display AND the computer, still have a functioning power button, speakers, and webcam. Basically I would like to replace everything inside but still working and feeling like an iMac should work.

I know this project can take time but does anyone has experience with something like this? Is it viable? My main concern is making the webcam, speakers, and power button work since they use special connectors inside which they'd need to get converted to be used. I guess ports can be easily replaced with extension cords, hubs, and adapters.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Nice idea but you're definitely looking at a pretty big project here. One power supply to power both is probably the first thing I'd give up on since chances are the voltages are different between the two.

Reactions: gastypm

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I love these kind of projects, but to do them to standard you want seems to require non-trivial quantities of knowledge, skill and time. There’s a great G4 iMac to Hackintosh mod on YouTube, the guy uses a 17 inch MacBook Pro LCD. Have a look, for inspiration if nothing else. Good luck!

Reactions: gastypm

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
As you may have guessed I have a 27" iMac from mid-2011 which is in great condition but the hardware is getting old. I would like to replace all the hardware inside and put an M1 Mac mini inside. Now, I've seen YouTuber Luke Miani doing this but not as polished as I would like to.

Luke Miani's project was just a half heart one.
But combining it with the below video, and some common sense, your project may work.

There are a lot of obstacles, and during your research, you'll finally find-out that it would be much simpler to leave the mini M1 outside of the iMac case.

How to connect the webcam

gastypm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
One power supply to power both is probably the first thing I'd give up on since chances are the voltages are different between the two.
That's was what I was afraid. I understand that I may have to let go some of these things.

gastypm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
I love these kind of projects, but to do them to standard you want seems to require non-trivial quantities of knowledge, skill and time. There’s a great G4 iMac to Hackintosh mod on YouTube, the guy uses a 17 inch MacBook Pro LCD. Have a look, for inspiration if nothing else. Good luck!
Yes! I saw that. That was one of the videos that inspired me. Thanks!

gastypm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
There are a lot of obstacles, and during your research, you'll finally find-out that it would be much simpler to leave the mini M1 outside of the iMac case.
Yes, it is easier to just turn the iMac into an external monitor, which there's a chance I end up doing that tbh. Thanks for the videos!

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I’d keep the mini in one piece and do the monitor conversion on the iMac. You can always stick the Mac mini on the back of the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.