Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
If you don't know my story already (link) then, upon purchasing a faulty LCD and installing it in my 500mhz iBook G3, it fried the video card.

I was wondering how to (if at all) replace the video card in it. Would this involve purchasing a new logic board or is it a lost cause and I might as well kiss the iBook goodbye?

Thanks for all your help!

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think the logic board must be replaced, and I don't think that's something that you can easily do yourself. Ask an Apple Service Provider what it will take (and cost)?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
gekko513 said:
I think the logic board must be replaced, and I don't think that's something that you can easily do yourself. Ask an Apple Service Provider what it will take (and cost)?

Was already at the Apple Store, they said they'll repair the iBook for $300+tax :rolleyes:.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
did they say WHAT was wrong with it??? ask them, then fix it yourself :)

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
macEfan said:
did they say WHAT was wrong with it??? ask them, then fix it yourself :)

They said it wasn't a logic board failure (otherwise it would have been covered under the program), but I know it's something wrong with the video.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
amacgenius said:
They said it wasn't a logic board failure (otherwise it would have been covered under the program), but I know it's something wrong with the video.

Have you tried attaching an external monitor to see if that works? If it does, it's possible that the new LCD is bad as well.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
aquajet said:
Have you tried attaching an external monitor to see if that works? If it does, it's possible that the new LCD is bad as well.

Yes but the video output on the external is green tinted.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It may work OK if you get another LCD for it, but there is also decent chance that the logic board has suffered collateral damage - a similar thing happened to my CRT iMac. High voltage board fried and damaged the video card, requiring some extensive replacement of parts. I wish they'd sold the Mac Mini in those days...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.