Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a couple of airtags that need a new battery. So I check online how to put my thumbs on the silver back and rotate it counter clockwise. the dang thing won't move .
Have I got a version that the batteries are not removable? Or is there another way. I could order new one. One is for my wallet and the other is for the dog leash (which is being mislayed in the house..)

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It's exactly as you say, turn the metal cover anticlockwise. All AirTags have replaceable batteries. One of mine was a particular bitch to open so just persevere is all I can recommend.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
It's exactly as you say, turn the metal cover anticlockwise. All AirTags have replaceable batteries. One of mine was a particular bitch to open so just persevere is all I can recommend.
I understand I might need to toss it in the trash or take it to the apple store and tell them to try to remove the cover. could be a new olympic sport removing the battery. the damn thing won't budge. Was there a batch when they came out that the batteries were not replaceable?

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Was there a batch when they came out that the batteries were not replaceable?

No. All AirTags have replacable batteries. Replaced the battery of mine 2 days ago.

Maybe you press too hard? Or just let someone else try it. Or yes.. last step... go to an Apple store.

Reactions: tgara

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Do you have one of these rubber gripping pads used to help open jars, etc.? Or something else with grippy rubber?

88fe53bd-9994-40d1-9d8e-ab4496b81f85.550dbf87126f655b9a98fa3fc7e93a86.jpeg

I use those all the time to provide extra grip. Just push it against the silver part to help you twist it off.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Push gently down with your thumbs as you twist the metal cover anti-clockwise. It shouldn’t be a strength test, it should come off quite easily. If it’s hard you’re either not doing it right or it’s stuck somehow.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I thought you also had to push downward but I'm not sure. It's not a strength test indeed, but it is a LITTLE tricky I guess.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I snagged a new airtag out of the box and it turned easily. I think what happens with use over time, it gets compressed into the locking mechanism and won't budge.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
OK I figured I will share my tip on how to do this.

I push the metal side of the AirTag against my bicycle tire. It’s a commuter bike so a smooth tire but maybe a mountain bike tire would work as well? I’m not sure. Push with the bottom edge of the palm of your hand then make an unscrewing motion like you’re taking out a lightbulb. It doesn’t take much movement and you will feel it unlock. It’s very easy!

You could probably do this against the side of your car tire. Just be careful and don’t do it in the road.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I eventually tried everything and came to the conclusion, that the locking mechanism had become compressed deeper into the device over time and wear. So I removed them from my phone and bought new ones. I tried to move the battery on one and no problem. I assume some rat in the garbage dump is trying to get off the cover as we speak.

• Angry
Reactions: applefan69

pwingman

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
You could try using a piece of sticky tape with a crease in the middle to grab hold of then twist.

Stick a piece to each side's surface to help

Reactions: msackey

charlescopley

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
I would recommend add little petroleum jelly—seriously just a dash, the stuff spreads very easily—on the grooves so they don’t rust or get caught again

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
I‘m in the same situation. My battery is good but to trigger a software update, I have to remove the battery.

I push with two thumbs at the sides of the apple logo but for the love of god it‘s doing nothing when trying to rotate it. My fingers just glide over the metal. Do they expect people to have rubber skin or what the ****

midorosan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
I understand I might need to toss it in the trash or take it to the apple store and tell them to try to remove the cover. could be a new olympic sport removing the battery. the damn thing won't budge. Was there a batch when they came out that the batteries were not replaceable?
Just takes a gentle push down and twist anticlockwise, replacement is simple AirTag beeps when new battery is recognised, replace top engage the slots push down gently7 and turn clockwise

Panties Hank

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
I eventually tried everything and came to the conclusion, that the locking mechanism had become compressed deeper into the device over time and wear. So I removed them from my phone and bought new ones. I tried to move the battery on one and no problem. I assume some rat in the garbage dump is trying to get off the cover as we speak.
Why toss it with so many free recycling options available? Or better yet, offering it to someone for free who would be willing to take a crack at it?

Reactions: Slix

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Why toss it with so many free recycling options available? Or better yet, offering it to someone for free who would be willing to take a crack at it?
Because I can. And I did. In each pod, the distance between the silver and white case was less than the new pod. Therefore, the top unit was compressed below where it should have been. I was tempted to pry it off, but then again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.