Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have an old Series 5 that I use a backup watch to my primary. The battery dies fairly quickly. It's probably not worth much to sell, and Apple charges $299 to replace the battery, which is more than it's worth. There are battery replacement kits on Amazon for like $30. I've repaired many Apple products before, so I'm not too concerned about the work required. I'm just wondering if it will ruin the water resistance by doing this? I use this watch a lot at the beach/pool, so it will be submerged/splashed a lot but not very deep. Thanks

bearmaster1

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
I have a S5 that needs the battery serviced too. The battery service fee is $79 according to the link near bottom. I have an appointment for this Sunday to drop it off at an apple store. My battery health is 77% and no longer lasts through my long runs.

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have a S5 that needs the battery serviced too. The battery service fee is $79 according to the link near bottom. I have an appointment for this Sunday to drop it off at an apple store. My battery health is 77% and no longer lasts through my long runs.

Doesn't that require AppleCare? I don't have that. Says $299 for mine.

bearmaster1

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
Just wanted to post an update. On Sunday June 12 I dropped off my AW5 at the apple store and received replacement via Fedex on Wed June 15. Quick turnaround!

Unfortunately, the replacement came with 0% battery charge and even after being plugged in for about 30 minutes did not charge. So I called support and after playing around with it, including reset by pressing crown and dock button it started charging. While talking to the support lady, she claims that the replacement watch is new. I doubt it, but she would know better than me. Anyhow, it looks brand new and I cannot tell the difference.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
It surely was new, my replacement S5 Ceramic was also fully discharged when I received it - to be expected after months/years in storage.
I had to charge it for almost an hour until it came to life.

Reactions: Vundu

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Just wanted to post an update. On Sunday June 12 I dropped off my AW5 at the apple store and received replacement via Fedex on Wed June 15. Quick turnaround!

Unfortunately, the replacement came with 0% battery charge and even after being plugged in for about 30 minutes did not charge. So I called support and after playing around with it, including reset by pressing crown and dock button it started charging. While talking to the support lady, she claims that the replacement watch is new. I doubt it, but she would know better than me. Anyhow, it looks brand new and I cannot tell the difference.
Thanks for the update! What was the charge? $79? Glad it worked out for you.

milleron

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
The "new" watch sounds good, but if it was, in fact, stored in a completely discharged state for "years," as bricktop hypothesizes, beware. Complete discharge of a Li-ion battery (or lead-acid battery, for that matter), especially when it's been discharged for a considerable period of time, can cause significant damage to it.
The one hour that elapsed before it "came to life" could be an indication that it is, in fact, damaged. I sure hope all goes well, because I might face the same dilemma in the future, but please post a follow-up in a week or two to describe the charge duration of the new Watch.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
The "new" watch sounds good, but if it was, in fact, stored in a completely discharged state for "years," as bricktop hypothesizes, beware. Complete discharge of a Li-ion battery (or lead-acid battery, for that matter), especially when it's been discharged for a considerable period of time, can cause significant damage to it.
The one hour that elapsed before it "came to life" could be an indication that it is, in fact, damaged. I sure hope all goes well, because I might face the same dilemma in the future, but please post a follow-up in a week or two to describe the charge duration of the new Watch.
For me, battery life was on par to the other S5 I owned at that time, so I guess it didn’t take much damage.

Takerouw

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019

So you only pay $79 for battery replacement and get 'new' watch replacement?

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Is there a maximum battery health threshold for Apple to allow you the $79 battery service? My battery health is still at 89%, and I heard it has to be at 80% or lower or Apple won't service it.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I thought the 80% thing was just if it was covered by warranty. Out of warranty repairs should not require a certain percentage of battery health from what I have seen in the past.

Reactions: DotCom2

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah, it has to be below 80%.
Same info I got - once my S5 dropped below 80%, it showed "Battery service recommended" in the battery menu. Took three days to get a replacement watch which is or at least look brand new. Great deal IMO, in Sweden it's close to $99 with taxes, but still, it's a new watch to use a couple of more years.

I didn't think I would keep the S5 this long, but I think it will be next year or 2024 that I move to an Ultra. 4-5 years from a smartwatch is not too shabby. The differences from S5 to S8 are just too incremental to justify an upgrade for me.

Reactions: xDKP

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I thought the 80% thing was just if it was covered by warranty. Out of warranty repairs should not require a certain percentage of battery health from what I have seen in the past.
If you want your iPhone battery replaced, they'll do it for you regardless of battery health because they replace that in the store in under an hour.

When you get your watch battery serviced, you're getting a refurbished watch back. Apple doesn't let you do it unless your health is under 80% because you're not getting a new battery. You're getting a "new" watch. It's less margin than they are used to so they want to limit the volume of returns.

nolem

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the info,
My S5 just ticked down to 81% battery health and I've been debating a new battery or waiting for a good sale on the S7 and get maybe $100 on swappa for the S5. I use it for siri, music controls, and workouts. Lately have been more apt to leave it at home after my run since I know it won't make it all day without a charge.
If the $79 battery service lets me get through the whole day including a workout that's the route I'll go.

blen

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
What happens if they run out of replacement watches (your model, size, color)?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
This is all good info to know. My S4 battery capacity is at 75%, so I’m in dire need of getting my battery replaced. I’m waiting for my new Ultra to arrive on Friday and then I’ll make an appointment to have it replaced.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Same info I got - once my S5 dropped below 80%, it showed "Battery service recommended" in the battery menu. Took three days to get a replacement watch which is or at least look brand new. Great deal IMO, in Sweden it's close to $99 with taxes, but still, it's a new watch to use a couple of more years.

I didn't think I would keep the S5 this long, but I think it will be next year or 2024 that I move to an Ultra. 4-5 years from a smartwatch is not too shabby. The differences from S5 to S8 are just too incremental to justify an upgrade for me.
My battery health was ~77% (in the 70s, was getting the "battery service recommended" message) and I was thinking of taking it in for a replacement when watchOS 9 bumped it up to 80%. lol. So now I don't think I'll be able to have the battery replaced just yet. I'm using a S4 and have been using it almost a full 4 years so the battery is understandably going!

Reactions: GrandeLatte
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.