Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Hi there,

At sometime in the summer, I'm thinking of having Apple replace the battery on my iPhone 6. Does anyone know if Apple will automatically update the OS to the most current version (i.e. 11.x) during the replacement process?

I'm really enjoying my iPhone 6 on 10.3 (with battery wear currently at 30%), so I'd like to avoid unnecessarily upgrading for as long as possible.

Thanks.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi there,

At sometime in the summer, I'm thinking of having Apple replace the battery on my iPhone 6. Does anyone know if Apple will automatically update the OS to the most current version (i.e. 11.x) during the replacement process?

I'm really enjoying my iPhone 6 on 10.3 (with battery wear currently at 30%), so I'd like to avoid unnecessarily upgrading for as long as possible.

Thanks.
I have been told they won't because it doesn't require calibration, like replacing a screen would.

I've also been told that they do. So, I guess that works out to a 50/50 chance.

Keep in mind, that if they break the battery tab while replacing the battery it means an entire phone replacement (they can't safely replace the battery if they break the tab). That means you end up with whatever the new phone has.

Personally, I've been avoiding it. My battery is still pretty good though. But I have a jailbreak on 9.0.2 I do not wish to lose.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No, but to just be sure tell them you do not want to update your phone.

That's not how it works. When you sign off on work to be done to your device, you also sign off on the fact that Apple will update your software to latest available for your device. That is not a clause for discussion. However, a Genius may be considerate and help you by putting the note in your work ticket. That is not a guarantee thou.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
No, but to just be sure tell them you do not want to update your phone.

The pre-warning makes sense. Thanks.

Personally, I've been avoiding it. My battery is still pretty good though. But I have a jailbreak on 9.0.2 I do not wish to lose.

So jealous. iOS 10 killed my number one device usage : Music/Podcasts. I even waited until summer 2017 before updating from iOS 9. It wasn't worth it.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.