Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Will there be crazy pop up message saying 3rd party battery is detected like iPhone does? When do you need to replace your MacBook battery? May be after 3 years?

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Prices are too high, as well as for RAM and SSD...
Being a consumer and customer I don't like this pricing policy at all.
If they continue like this, I might move on to something else.
I have been a customer of theirs for decades, but if they want me to continue buying their products, they need to change some of their policies.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Prices are too high, as well as for RAM and SSD...
Being a consumer and customer I don't like this pricing policy at all.
If they continue like this, I might move on to something else.
I have been a customer of theirs for decades, but if they want me to continue buying their products, they need to change some of their policies.

I don’t think Apple let user even updates ssd or ram in MacBook in recent years, seem like all are sealed on electronic board.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
In fact I don't like this policy.
Their SSD policy is at odds with their green and repair policy.

I can understand soldered RAM because in the SOC, but SSDs are not!

They keep advertising how green their policy is and how compliant they are with the new legislature on repairs, but there is nothing green or repairable about a soldered SSD.

If my needs change, what do I do? Do I change the entire computer? Is this a green choice? Is changing an entire computer when I could just replace the memory is a green choice?
How can I download my 4K videos shot with my iPhone, despite having a 2TB subscription on iCloud, if MAC does not allow syncing to an external disk?

I made a subscription with iCloud, but I discovered that I can't synchronize on the external HDD, but only on the MAC SSD, why?

Isn't this planned obsolescence?

$200 for RAM and SSD upgrade? On Amazon I can buy significantly faster memories at 1/4 the price.

$250 to replace a battery, which will cost maybe $10.
How much does labor cost? $200 per hour? because it takes much less than an hour to replace a battery...

Last edited:

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
In fact I don't like this policy.
Their SSD policy is at odds with their green and repair policy.

I can understand soldered RAM because in the SOC, but SSDs are not!

They keep advertising how green their policy is and how compliant they are with the new legislature on repairs, but there is nothing green or repairable about a soldered SSD.

If my needs change, what do I do? Do I change the entire computer? Is this a green choice? Is changing an entire computer when I could just replace the memory a green choice?
How can I download my 4K videos shot with my iPhone, despite having a 2TB subscription on iCloud, if MAC does not allow syncing to an external disk?

I made a subscription with iCloud, but I discovered that I can't synchronize on the external HDD, but only on the MAC SSD, why?

Isn't this planned obsolescence?

$200 for RAM and SSD upgrade? On Amazon I can buy significantly faster memories at 1/4 the price.

$250 to replace a battery, which will cost maybe $10.
How much does labor cost? $200 per hour? because it takes much less than an hour to replace a battery...

They only go green when that can make them make more profit lol xd. Nothing including phone charger is classic, the newest method is iPhone leather case becomes plastic case but still charge similar price lol xd

Reactions: Mark.g4

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Recently returned from the electronic fairs in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. There have been fixes to the pop-up messages for a while now for the 3rd party batteries on the iphone (exception is iphone 15). There are add-on bridge boards that are mated between the battery and the main logic board that will quench this pop-up message by pacifying the security key check. Not all 3rd party batteries are evil. Do your homework and read the reviews. In the USA / Canada - recommend the batteries from Mobile Sentrix. They run a solid shop for dealers and back up their claims with quality products.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Recently returned from the electronic fairs in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. There have been fixes to the pop-up messages for a while now for the 3rd party batteries on the iphone (exception is iphone 15). There are add-on bridge boards that are mated between the battery and the main logic board that will quench this pop-up message by pacifying the security key check. Not all 3rd party batteries are evil. Do your homework and read the reviews. In the USA / Canada - recommend the batteries from Mobile Sentrix. They run a solid shop for dealers and back up their claims with quality products.

There are repair shops that can solve the iPhone battery message for sure, but they need to use so much effort and then still earn money, which mean very likely they will give you a cheap danger battery, I would not take that risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.