Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave559

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
My credit card has just expired (a somewhat inconvenient time of year for it to occur!) and so I possibly need to update Apple Wallet, or do I?

The new credit card has the same number as the old one, but has a different card security code, and has a new expiry date, of course. Apple Wallet hasn't complained about its existing copy of the (old) card being invalid (although I haven't tried to buy anything with this card since it expired), so do I actually need to delete the existing card from Apple Wallet, and then add the new one as a replacement, or can I safely just leave the existing setup to continue?

(aside: It's odd how credit cards seem to keep the same number indefinitely, whereas debit card numbers seem to change whenever the debit card is replaced by a new one.)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Excerpt from above link:

Update your Apple Pay card number and expiration date​

With Apple Pay, your payment card has a unique Device Account Number used to process payments and an expiration date associated with that Device Account Number.
If your card expires or you otherwise get a new card:
  • The card number and expiration date linked to the Device Account Number should be updated automatically.
  • If your card issuer doesn’t support these updates, you might need to remove the card and add it again”

Reactions: Anilu7 and dave559

dave559

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the information! That's useful to know that Apple Pay "should" be able to update the details automatically.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I know this thread is pretty old but I just had the same issue of not knowing how to update a debit card's expiration date and no info in the Wallet regarding such. I found this thread and it saved the day! Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.