Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mariosknl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Patra, Greece
probably this has been answered before but I can’t find it. I have an iMac 27’ 2019 with 1TB fusion drive. The last few months it has become pretty slow. I need to replace the drive with a SSD and I found Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe 4.0. Will I have a compatibility problem if I buy and install it?
Thank you in advance for your time.

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
I had this on my 2019 iMac as a external TB3 drive. You can install MacOS on that then select it as boot drive. No need to open that beauty and potentially trash the screen. The procedure to swap the internal hdd is quite invasive. Perhaps a local mac repair shop offers that. But I found my external drive solution a good one with good speeds. Just chose a drive enclosure with good heat dissipation (Sabrent Al enclosure is what I had)
Also gives you the bonus of using the internal drive as data grave or media library

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would not open up a (relatively recent) 2019 iMac.

Instead, go the external route as Batman suggests above.

You have the option of choosing either thunderbolt3, USB3.1 gen2, or USB3.

Thundebolt3 is fastest, of course, but the drives can run hot and "throttle back" the speed if they get too hot. Some enclosures offer better cooling than do others.

Reactions: Mariosknl

Mariosknl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Patra, Greece
I had this on my 2019 iMac as a external TB3 drive. You can install MacOS on that then select it as boot drive. No need to open that beauty and potentially trash the screen. The procedure to swap the internal hdd is quite invasive. Perhaps a local mac repair shop offers that. But I found my external drive solution a good one with good speeds. Just chose a drive enclosure with good heat dissipation (Sabrent Al enclosure is what I had)
Also gives you the bonus of using the internal drive as data grave or media library
Is it possible please to send me the exact enclosure you used for your setup? It will be super helpful. Thanks

Mariosknl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Patra, Greece
I would not open up a (relatively recent) 2019 iMac.

Instead, go the external route as Batman suggests above.

You have the option of choosing either thunderbolt3, USB3.1 gen2, or USB3.

Thundebolt3 is fastest, of course, but the drives can run hot and "throttle back" the speed if they get too hot. Some enclosures offer better cooling than do others.
Do you have any suggestion for the Samsung 980 drive? I will connect it via thunderbolt3 as you suggested

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Do you have any suggestion for the Samsung 980 drive? I will connect it via thunderbolt3 as you suggested"

You'll have to search for an "nvme" thunderbolt enclosure.
There are some out there, not all that many that I can see.

I would try to locate more than one "candidate", and take time to read the user reviews for each one. Then pick what you like best.

There's a long-running thread here at macrumors about such enclosures:

Again, be aware that some of these have "heat issues".

I have only one nvme drive (Crucial), that I use in an Orico USB3.1 gen2 enclosure. It's not as fast as tbolt3 but still fairly quick (reads in the 850MBps range). It, too, can get on the hot side under periods of extended write activity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.