Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reploid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
I got a minor dent in my iPad Magic Keyboard and I want to use AppleCare to replace it. Apple considers dents a cosmetic damage and will probably deny my request. When I first got this keyboard last year, it had what appears to be extra glue seeping out of the sides, which I may be able to claim as a build quality issue. Unfortunately, I scraped them off with my fingernails and don’t seem to have any photos of it. I am also considering doing accidental damage to it to make it eligible for replacement. What should I do in this case and has anyone successfully replaced their keyboards before?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yes, there are posts on MR about users who have had their MKs replaced under AppleCare for issues other than what you're describing. That's taking a heck of a chance that Apple may determine the damage was unintentional. You wouldn't be the first person to try this, and it may not work out as you hope. Apple can cancel your Applecare if it finds evidence of fraud.

Last edited:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
My advice would be to stop with the scheming to get a free replacement and simply buy a new keyboard. Self respect should be more valuable than a a $350 accessory. You can sell the dented one as used/imperfect and recoup some of the cost of the new Magic Keyboard.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I got a minor dent in my iPad Magic Keyboard and I want to use AppleCare to replace it. Apple considers dents a cosmetic damage and will probably deny my request. When I first got this keyboard last year, it had what appears to be extra glue seeping out of the sides, which I may be able to claim as a build quality issue. Unfortunately, I scraped them off with my fingernails and don’t seem to have any photos of it. I am also considering doing accidental damage to it to make it eligible for replacement. What should I do in this case and has anyone successfully replaced their keyboards before?
Let’s see if I have this right. You have a MKB that is essentially perfect except for a “minor dent” that you caused…hmm?‍♂️ And you initially saw some residue that you assumed was “glue” that you flicked off with a fingernail?? If it had been something significant you’d have returned it at that time. But you now want Apple to replace it, if this isn’t just a joke post that you made to get a reaction out of us I suspect there’s more of a problem here than with the keyboard or Apple.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
You paid for AppleCare and accidental damage for the keyboard is included. You did damaged it so it’s a completely legitimate claim. Your still going to be paying the $29 for a replacement. Just claim the dent. There is no need to take it any further. Also take pictures of the seeping glue. Both should be reason enough to get a replacement. Let us know how it goes.

2D61B466-84E8-4B81-9306-349B537E60C7.png

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
You paid for AppleCare and accidental damage for the keyboard is included. You did damaged it so it’s a completely legitimate claim. Your still going to be paying the $29 for a replacement. Just claim the dent. There is no need to take it any further. Also take pictures of the seeping glue. Both should be reason enough to get a replacement. Let us know how it goes.

View attachment 1811390
Wait, does dents include "accidental damage"? If that's the case.... hahah

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Wait, does dents include "accidental damage"? If that's the case.... hahah
I think you mean does accidental damage include dents. Here's the US Applecare legal definition:

"If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (such as, drops and damage caused by liquid contact) (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to your payment of the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. Each time you receive services for ADH is a “Service Event”.

Reactions: ejin222

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wow. I understand the emotion of denting your Apple toys. I dropped an iPod, and cracked the plastic case, and got some road rash on the metal. I would have been too embarrassed to try to take it in to get it fixed. Maybe I should have. *shrug*

But in your case, you are at the entire mercy of the Apple Store staff, and managers. If it looks like it was deliberately damaged, it's unlikely that they will do much. It depends on your presentation, and how you come off to their staff.

Case in point, I witnessed a 'spoiled' girl bring her second MBP in for 'soda damage'. The Genius took it back, opened it, was apparently amazed at the amount of soda still inside the machine, and indicated that it had at least one other soda incident that didn't kill it. They declined to cover it under Apple Care. With a history like that, and the location where the store is, and the average household income for that area, I'm sure the mom went home, lectured her spawn about liquids and electronics, and bought her a new one, walking out without one to 'make a point'.

I came in, in a suit, with a psychotic iMac. It was a refurb, and a few weeks prior, started getting 'weird'. It would shutdown, it would have screen 'tearing', it would just not be having a good day, and it gradually got worse. I had a project I was working on, and had the suit for a meeting, and took a chance. The Genius took it back, came back out, asked more questions, and disappeared for quite a while. He came back with a sad look on his face. Maybe more shocked? He explained that it was so unstable that they couldn't even get the diags to run on it. He said they wouldn't know where to start in replacing parts, and would likely end up replacing everything, and then, he kinda joked, it might not ever run right after that (possessed?). They offered the chance for them to 'fix' it, or I take home a brand new iMac, fresh out of the box (without the box). I walked out with a new iMac, and a stronger opinion on Apple Care. Did the suit help? Possibly, but the system was freaking out, obviously majorly toasted. I asked if that was why it was refurbed, and he thought about it for a minute, actually, and said that they unfortunately, there in the store at least, did not have access to that information. But I was happy.

But be nice to the staff. Be EXTRA nice to the staff. If you come in all huffy, they will likely send you away. If it looks like it was intentional, and they will know, having 'seen it all', they will turn you away. If you are calm, explain the issue, admit any fault on your part, and they agree, you can get them to work with you. Yeah, one quick story, related to another visit to the Center Of The Universe: Guy comes in, all 'edgy'. Kinda hostile. 'The Apple Care phone people wouldn't help me! I couldn't get them to understand what happened, it's not what it looks like! Hah, the Genius was already skeptical. They pulled up the conversation based on the serial number. Apparently the guy was a major butthead. The local Genius disappeared for a few minutes, presumably to give him time to cool off, and came out and denied him any support. He started posturing, and raising his voice. Yeah, bad move. A couple other Geniuses came over, and the guy finally left. 'I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT EVER AGAIN!' and they all sighed, I'm sure.

EDIT: My post is more along the lines of respect the Apple Store staff. They have seen it all, and should be treated with respect. Saying that someone would disable an Apple device to get it swapped for a cosmetic issue is also pretty nuts, IMO. From the beginning, I've advocated for the use of cases. If you don't want your stuff damaged, be good to it, and get it cased. It's not going to stop all damage, but it's better than having broken toys. /end

Last edited:

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I think you mean does accidental damage include dents. Here's the US Applecare legal definition:

"If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (such as, drops and damage caused by liquid contact) (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to your payment of the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. Each time you receive services for ADH is a “Service Event”.

Ahh that helps a lot! I may have the world's most dented, scratched up, beat up Magic Keyboard lol. But it's working fine and I have no intention of replacing it until it actually breaks. But reading the legal definition should help OP in this situation. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.