Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDS615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
Hey guys, I couldn't find anything addressing the questions I have and could really use some help. My iPhone 5s needs a new logic board. I've found a couple of used phones for sale near me that I would take the logic board from and install in my phone. What I need to know is, if I were to buy a phone of a different color, it would still identify as the color of the phone it originally was installed in, correct? If so, is there any way to change this? Also, my phone is Verizon locked. If I buy an unlocked phone, is there any hardware differences that would stop me from installing it? Or would I just be able to install it and have it work with my sim card in it? Thanks for any help.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
What do you mean by keep them the same? Do they only work with one logic board?
Yeah, they are paired with the logic board so they must stay together.

So if you switch the logic board you will have to switch the home button too otherwise touchID won't work and you'll get error 53 restoring in itunes

JDS615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016

So if you switch the logic board you will have to switch the home button too otherwise touchID won't work and you'll get error 53 restoring in itunes
Thank you for that info, I didn't consider that. What about switching the motherboard from an at&t phone to Verizon? This wouldn't work, correct?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for that info, I didn't consider that. What about switching the motherboard from an at&t phone to Verizon? This wouldn't work, correct?
One specific Touch ID module is paired to one specific logic board. It's not a matter of kinds of parts, you can't take the Touch ID module from one AT&T phone and use it in a different AT&T phone, for instance.

JDS615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
One specific Touch ID module is paired to one specific logic board. It's not a matter of kinds of parts, you can't take the Touch ID module from one AT&T phone and use it in a different AT&T phone, for instance.
Thank you very much for a reply, but what I meant was that if I replace the logic board of my verizon phone (including the home button) will the phone work on verizon?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you very much for a reply, but what I meant was that if I replace the logic board of my verizon phone (including the home button) will the phone work on verizon?
Well, an AT&T 5S will work fine on Verizon as long as it's unlocked, so I would assume so.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

As far as I know, error 53 only affects iPhone 6 and up. The Touch ID on the 5s would be disabled if swapped, but an error would not be prompted upon a firmware restore or update. Regardless, it would be wise to retain original Touch ID.

Reactions: Gav2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.